Author Topic: Car Break In  (Read 14816 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Car Break In
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »
This is the second time I had to do this in the last 2 1/2 years (last time they were in my apt) and the Police were just fine with it.

Time to find a new neighborhood?  ;) ???
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
Worst part is, the first time was on a totally different side of town!
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
I have a house now, that was my old apt a little over 2 years ago

Offline Advanced Security

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »
The perp was holding something in his hand to make those pry marks.......at 2235 hrs it could be about anything.
Exactly.  He had what could be construed as a weapon.  What's more, holding the gun in your hand, not pointed at anything but the ground would be a hard case for brandishing -- which is defined as "waving a gun about in a threatening manner".
I thought it had something to do with displaying in a threatening manner. Also, what would the point of drawing a gun in that situation, if not to "threaten" the perp. I get it, the guy had a weapon.  However, you'll not convince me that you we following castle doctrine by chasing the guy.  Law, I believe reads, no duty to retreat, and repel the threat. I just wouldve handled it different.

As soon as we refuse to learn and grow, we should probably hang it up.

Jeff

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
Well, when the police tell me I did nothing wrong on more than one occasion I think I will be alright. I trust an officer of the law. And just because I drew my weapon doesn't mean it was pointed at the guy. It means I drew my weapon. And you're right about the refusal to learn and grow, but according to police twice I was not in the wrong. So in my opinion, maybe someone else has some learning and growing to do. I don't have to convince you about the castle doctrine. You have your opinion and much like trying to change someones mind in politics, its never going to happen. I chased the perp off my property, I never threatened or pointed the weapon at him. I just told him to freeze and he booked it, I holstered it, ran two houses and stopped. I am glad you would have handled it different, sir. I would like to have seen/heard what you would have done after something of this nature happened, not while being an armchair critic. I don't like to pick on people but I am only returning the favor.

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
I trust an officer of the law.

Where is this paradise? I don't trust officers of the law in my part.  If I do trust them at all, it is a cynical trust.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »
Hahaha. Mount "Pleasant", MI. Go figure right? I used to be a deputy up here for Animal Control until I quit to finish my degree in medicine so I got to know most of the LEOs in the county. Others I got to know working security for a gated community up here for college students. Some of them are straight up jerks, mostly the ones I don't know(for a reason). Others (the majority I know) are pretty decent guys I would trust with my life. They are very knowledgeable men/women. Also happens to be that I drink with some of those people. (Not the ones involved with this incident). Perhaps that helps me more than others I guess, since I am known in these here parts. Might make my experience with LEOs a bit different than the average joe.

Offline cabman1

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89164759&sc=nl&cc=es-20080417

Perhaps I should have given him my car? ???

No one said give him your car but why would you walk out the house??? Why not call the police from inside your house? instead of putting your self in danger..  Why would you start assuming some ones mental health by saying they see a shrink?  Why so defensive??? If the police said you were in the right it must mean your in the right because we all know the police are always right!!!!I still believe you were in the wrong by putting yourself in harms way by going outside to protect your property if he would have had a gun and would have shot you was the dodge worth your life???   Think about that..And re read the castle doctrine it say people not possessions!!  No you dont have to retreat but you cant walk out and put yourself in danger and plea that you had no other choice but to take his life because you did. You could have stayed inside and called the police!!!!
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
I went outside to see what they were growling at. I didn't know he was at my car until I was outside. So obviously I couldn't "stay" inside and know he was there. Armchair critic. Enough said. You weren't here to know exactly how/what went down. And I believe you don't give police enough credit. And yes I am defensive. You are accusing me of committing a crime. Should I sit there and take it? No. Would you? If you are so self-rightiously adamant why don't you put an ad in the Morning Sun, and see if this perp comes forward, and pay for his lawyer to sue me.

Moderators, can we lock this thread so it stops being a giant b***h-fest. Its all it turned in to.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 12:19:29 AM »
I am locking this per the OP's request.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."