Author Topic: HB4339 - Remove pistol registration database  (Read 1888 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
HB4339 - Remove pistol registration database
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
Weapons; other; pistol entry database; eliminate.
Sponsors: Todd Courser, Cindy Gamrat

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2015-HB-4339

Referred to the Judiciary Committee.  Does anyone know if this bill has a chance or will it languish in committee?
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: HB4339 - Remove pistol registration database
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
This brings a smile to my face.  :)

I have already wrote my new rep Jason Sheppard asking him to support this.

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »
I believe the MSP lobbied heavily against the last bill to eliminate handgun registration.  They claimed it helps them solve crimes.  ::)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
My gut says the bill is DOA. The sponsor is kind of a caucus black sheep. I like him a lot, but he has done certain things to upset caucus leadership (not that that's a bad thing...!)

The MOC legislative team has been aware of this bill for several weeks now -- in fact we helped to write a lot (not all) of it.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »
In the course of an investigation, it is determined that a 9mm was used in a crime.  Can a LEO query the database for all registered 9mm?  Absolutely
If a 15 round 9mm glock magazine was found at the scene, could they search for all Glock 19's and 26's registered?  Absolutely

Quote from: MCL 28.421b
(1) Firearms records are confidential, are not subject to disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246, and shall not be disclosed to any person, except as otherwise provided by this section.

(2) Firearms records may only be accessed and disclosed by a peace officer or authorized system user for the following purposes:
(a) The individual whose firearms records are the subject of disclosure poses a threat to himself or herself or other individuals, including a peace officer.
(b) The individual whose firearms records are the subject of disclosure has committed an offense with a pistol that violates a law of this state, another state, or the United States.
(c) The pistol that is the subject of the firearms records search may have been used during the commission of an offense that violates a law of this state, another state, or the United States.
(d) To ensure the safety of a peace officer.
(e) For purposes of this act.
(f) A peace officer or an authorized user has reason to believe that access to the firearms records is necessary within the commission of his or her lawful duties. The peace officer or authorized system user shall enter and record the specific reason in the system in accordance with the procedures in section 5e.

[sarcasm]Because every handgun used in a crime is registered[/sarcasm]

Pistol registration does not prove ownership or possession.  As a seller, how long should I retain my copy of an RI-10 or RI-60? 

I'd like to see the registration requirement go too, for reasons far beyond the "registration leads to confiscation."

My gut says the bill is DOA.
  That makes me sad.

in fact we helped to write a lot (not all) of it.
  That makes me smile.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:05:07 PM »
The MSP's query of the entire database is one of the things that prompted the FOIA bills last session. That is why LEO's now need to enter a reason when checking the DB.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »

The MSP's query of the entire database is one of the things that prompted the FOIA bills last session. That is why LEO's now need to enter a reason when checking the DB.

Some DTMB staff can always directly query the database without anyone knowing. It's kind of impossible to limit DBAs -- but Tom understands.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 03:57:36 PM »
Some DTMB staff can always directly query the database without anyone knowing. It's kind of impossible to limit DBAs -- but Tom understands.

That may or may not be how I escalated my privileges on right michigan....
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
My official title is "System Administrator: Identity & Access Management"

Can confirm; no feasible limits on DBAs.  My last audit event could be the DBA disabling auditing. :)

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
My official title is "System Administrator: Identity & Access Management"

Can confirm; no feasible limits on DBAs.  My last audit event could be the DBA disabling auditing. :)

I love it when a plan comes together.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
https://forums.miopencarry.org/index.php/topic,4806.0.html

I bet they used the Pistol Registration to locate the offender. If so, that's an unfortunate argument to keep the database.