Author Topic: WV governor vetoes constitutional carry bill  (Read 4243 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
WV governor vetoes constitutional carry bill
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »
Despite being passed with overwhelming majorities in both the House 71-29 and Senate 32-2, Governor Tomblin gave in to law enforcement and promptly vetoed West Virginia's Constitutional Carry bill SB 347According to those at OCDO, no one expected him to.  He was expected to ignore it and let the 10 days run out until it became law.  The thinking was that it would be political suicide to veto it.

Tomblin: “Throughout my career, I have strongly supported the Second Amendment, as demonstrated by my repeated endorsements and high grades from the National Rifle Association.”

Ha.

http://www.wtrf.com/story/28571511/wv-gov-tomblin-veto-bill-eliminating-need-for-concealed-carry-permits

These governors get jerked around by the police, sheriffs, and state troopers all the time. It’s the same here in Michigan. It’s disheartening.

Offline Jeff

Re: WV governor vetoes constitutional carry bill
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »
Is that Snyders long lost brother?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
Unfortunately the session is over and I don't think they can call a special session themselves and override the veto.  They should have passed it a couple of weeks sooner, then they would have been able to.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »
Unfortunately the session is over and I don't think they can call a special session themselves and override the veto.  They should have passed it a couple of weeks sooner, then they would have been able to.

They probably planned it that way.  They get pro gun credit for voting correctly but the law doesn't pass.  Sigh.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »
They probably planned it that way.  They get pro gun credit for voting correctly but the law doesn't pass.  Sigh.

That seems more probable then possible.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:02:07 AM »

Why do you think Michigan's Rs hold off on pro-gun bills until after the election to do Governor RikkiLovesBloomberg a favor, and then wait another six weeks to actually vote on the bills, then act surprised when they get vetoed after the session closes?

After it happened in 2012, it could not have been an accident that they did it all over again in 2014.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
Just read this about the West Virginia Democrat governor vetoing the Constitutional Carry bill after the legislative session had ended.  Don't know how the writer got his information on the legislature's plans.  I have asked.

+++++

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/educational/citizens/process.cfm

Second to last paragraph under the “Sessions of the Legislature” section.

If they get three fifths of the members of each house to request it, the Governor has to call a special session if he wants to or not. The support is there to do it in the House, but the Senate isn’t as eager and is willing to wait until next year.

If they don’t do a special session, they are planning on fast tracking the bill with the same language next year and sending it to the Governor early enough so they will still be in the regular session to override the veto.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »

Same thing happens in Michigan -- legislature passes controversial stuff the night before adjourning sine die -- leaving the legislation at the mercy of the Governor.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »

Just read this about the West Virginia Democrat governor vetoing the Constitutional Carry bill after the legislative session had ended.  Don't know how the writer got his information on the legislature's plans.  I have asked.

+++++

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/educational/citizens/process.cfm

Second to last paragraph under the “Sessions of the Legislature” section.

If they get three fifths of the members of each house to request it, the Governor has to call a special session if he wants to or not. The support is there to do it in the House, but the Senate isn’t as eager and is willing to wait until next year.

If they don’t do a special session, they are planning on fast tracking the bill with the same language next year and sending it to the Governor early enough so they will still be in the regular session to override the veto.

That is: if the composition doesn't change before then :(
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).