Author Topic: Response to Senator Mike Green throwing open carry under the bus  (Read 6541 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
On behalf of MOC:
Yesterday, Michigan State Senator Mike Green (R-Maryville) was quoted by the Detroit Free Press about legislation he is working on in relation to open carry and schools.

While Michigan Open Carry, Inc. has a great deal of respect for Senator Green, some of us having personally supported his campaign, and we recognize him as one of the biggest pro-gun voices in the Michigan Legislature, we nonetheless could not disagree more with his comments as quoted in the Free Press.

We are deeply saddened and disappointed that such a strong pro-gun voice would refer to a clear and settled working in Michigan law as a "loophole". Especially since the term is so ubiquitously and absurdly applied by the very people working to take away the rights Senator Green has fought so hard to protect.

We also feel the same way about the Senator's insinuation that people should feel afraid at the sight of a firearm, as this is in direct contradiction of many years of Senator Green's and MOC's work.

We sincerely hope that Senator Green will see the error in his comments and will continue being a champion for all law-abiding gun owners in Michigan no matter how they choose to protect themselves.

Source of Green's comments:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/19/bills-banning-openly-carried-weapons/25053411/

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Response to Senator Mike Green throwing open carry under the bus
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »
Any hope he was misquoted?
I've seen people I knew personally get hopping mad over something a reporter or editor put in their mouth for them, usually a bad paraphrase depicted as a direct quote.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »
Any hope he was misquoted?
I've seen people I knew personally get hopping mad over something a reporter or editor put in their mouth for them, usually a bad paraphrase depicted as a direct quote.

I've been there numerous times.

Phil (TheQ) and I called Senator Green's office and spoke with an aid. No corrections or indications that the Senator was misquoted were offered.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »
Have you requested to meet with Senator Green?

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
That is because he was not misquoted. The man has been whittling away at our rights for the last few years and it is only now that more people are effected that the light seems to be turning on.

When his staff person Ryan told me a few years back I was "the only person to call opposing the elimination of MI Pistols" that spoke loudly about the "gun people" in this state. Then this crappy bill that just passed a couple weeks ago didn't have to many against it either.