Author Topic: New guy, Looking for direction  (Read 9097 times)

Offline Invisiblekid00

New guy, Looking for direction
« on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »
Hello. I just took my cpl class and will apply for my licence soon. I do plan to CC most(if not all) of the time. I know this is a OC forum but there is a lack of michigan CC forums and I see this is a very informative site for all gun laws. Love to see what you guys and gals are doing here!

A couple questions I have are...

A) can I cc at my childs school while picking up or dropping off?

B) do I have to disclose to an officer if I'm  NOT carrying?

These may be answered in other threads...if so, sorry for the repeat questions.

Sent from gs5(vzw) through tapatalk

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: New guy, Looking for direction
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
FAQ are your friend :)
http://miopencarry.org/faq

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »
Welcome from Okemos. :)

Although we are an open carry organization, many of us CC as well (sometimes we CC a backup, for example).

We encourage you to read the laws yourself so that you understand them, and not just take someone else's word for something that might get you in trouble.  Having said that, the answers to your questions are:

Question A) The law states that you can CC in your vehicle if picking up or dropping off your child.  You cannot CC in the building or elsewhere on the property.  Here is the law:

MCL 28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon or portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology prohibited;

(1) ...an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol...shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property except that a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the student from the school.

(4) As used in subsection (1), "premises" does not include parking areas of the places identified under subsection (1).

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425o

Question B) no, if you are not carrying a concealed pistol, you do not have to tell law enforcement that you have a CPL and/or that you are not carrying.  You are only required to disclose if you have a CPL and are carrying concealed.  If you are carrying in your car, you must also disclose immediately.

Since you may be carrying openly on occasion, please read our FAQ when you get a chance.  It answers a lot of questions regarding open carry.

http://www.miopencarry.org/faq
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:05:47 PM by gryphon »

Offline Invisiblekid00

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
I appreciate the quick responses and info. Thanks a ton guys!

Sent from gs5(vzw) through tapatalk