Author Topic: New guy here!  (Read 11889 times)

Offline GhostOfSparta85

• First Name (Displayed): Ryan
New guy here!
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »
Hey all!

Full disclosure, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured "Off topic" would be as good a place as any. Anyway, here's a little background about myself.  My name is Ryan, I am a 29 year old white male that is overflowing with white privilege (lol).  I am married to the woman of my dreams, going on 7 years, been together 11 years, we have 3 beautiful children from ages 4-10 months and I am indeed a gun owner.  I wasn't always a gun owner, in fact I wasn't always interested in guns.  I decided I wanted to get into shooting in 2012 so my father in law took me out into the woods by his cottage and let me shoot his .22 Ruger pistol, .22 rifle, 20 gauge semi-auto remington, 12 gauge pump remington and his .357 revolver.  The moment I started shooting, I became hooked.  That fall, I bought my first firearm; a Mossberg 500.  I now have 4 guns (Mossberg 500, Ruger Gp100, Springfield XDS and Ruger Sr1911).  I have become VERY passionate about firearm ownership, carrying (concealed or open) and wanted to chat with people who are like minded.  I do have plenty of friends who carry, none of them I really see on a daily basis. 

I have a CPL myself, but I have been becoming more comfortable with the idea of open carrying around my house, in my yard and around my neighborhood.  It makes my wife nervous, but I assure her that I am not breaking the law, it is perfectly legal to open carry and I'm tired of liberal minded folk dictating how we should carry.  I shouldn't have to hide my gun because some delicate snowflake might get upset at the sight of a firearm.  Anyway, that is enough about me.  I live in the Flint area, so if there's any events near me, I'd love to join!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: New guy here!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »
Hey all!  Full disclosure, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured "Off topic" would be as good a place as any.

Probably the "New member introductions" area.

https://forums.miopencarry.org/index.php/board,3.0.html

A mod will probably move it, so don't panic if it disappears from here and moves there. Anyway, welcome from Okemos. :)

Offline GhostOfSparta85

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:53:52 PM »
Probably the "New member introductions" area.

https://forums.miopencarry.org/index.php/board,3.0.html

A mod will probably move it, so don't panic if it disappears from here and moves there. Anyway, welcome from Okemos. :)

Ah crap, I didn't see that there.  And thank you!

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:15:34 PM »
Ah crap, I didn't see that there.  And thank you!

Lol, happens to me all the time.    :(

Welcome Ghost!

Offline GhostOfSparta85

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
Lol, happens to me all the time.    :(

Welcome Ghost!

Thanks!  :D

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »
Welcome from Holt.

My wife is used to me open carrying and my children don't know any different.  Over time, it will become normal.  My wife doesn't look at me funny when I carry two either.  She does roll her eyes when I carry three.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline GhostOfSparta85

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »
Welcome from Holt.

My wife is used to me open carrying and my children don't know any different.  Over time, it will become normal.  My wife doesn't look at me funny when I carry two either.  She does roll her eyes when I carry three.

Yeah my wife doesn't kind when I open carry at home, but she expressed concern when we went for a walk through our neighborhood this past weekend and I was open carrying my SR1911.  That's when I had to explain to her that it's not against the law and all that and she calmed down about it.  I told her that even if someone called the cops, there's nothing they can do about it.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:35:30 AM »
I told her that even if someone called the cops, there's nothing they can do about it.
There's nothing they can do legally, at least. It might not be common, but there have been incidents where police acted unlawfully toward individuals who were openly carrying a holstered handgun.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:54 AM »
MOC has some great resources, including the FAQ and State Police Update #86.

Like you, I started off concealing and have since drifted over to 90% OC.  I have found my very comfortable IWB CC rig to be less comfortable now that I've gotten used to CC.

MOC is a great group and doing some great work.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).