Author Topic: Parents of woman killed in Aurora must pay legal fees  (Read 3199 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Parents of woman killed in Aurora must pay legal fees
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »
The parents of a woman who was killed in the Aurora, CO shooting tried to sue four companies who sold stuff to James Holmes.  The suit was thrown out of court and they are now liable for the legal fees of Lucky Gunner and Sportsman's Guide to the tune of $220K!

http://blog.thomsonreuters.com/index.php/parents-lost-daughter-mass-shooter-now-owe-220000-suppliers/

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Parents of woman killed in Aurora must pay legal fees
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »
Well, let's look at this from an attorney ethics standpoint.

It's a violation to file a frivolous action. Check, we've got that.

It's a violation to file an action that's barred by law. Check, we've got that too.

Due to unethical filing of a baseless, legally barred action, your greedy idiot clients now owe the defendants a mid six figure sum.
I'm thinking the attorneys involved should be paying at least half of this, in addition to being disbarred for at least a couple of years. 
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:44:44 PM »
1/2?

I'd vote for all

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:38 PM »
Part 2: I want to see the attorneys, as well as the Brady Bunch, get kicked in the teeth hard, but:
I don't want somebody to get off scot free for trying to profiteer the death of a family member either.

I guess I'm OK with judgment for the defendants in the amount of a few hundred grand, and the plaintiffs getting it all back if they file a malpractice suit.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
I'm sure the plaintiffs were told the law by their attorney(s), that it bars these types of lawsuits and that if they lose they might be liable for the defendants' attorneys' fees.  They were just convinced by the Brady Bunch to file anyway.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »
Apparently the thread title should read "Employees of Brady Campaign must pay legal fees", for Lonnie and Sandy Phillips are both on the Brady payroll:
http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2015/04/well-this-sheds-new-light-on-things.html