Author Topic: Legal or Not  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Lonewolf0714

Legal or Not
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
I have a question for anyone who can answer. Would it be considered assault in the state of Michigan to reach for or grab your firearm with intent to use, if you feel you are threatened with great bodily harm but then do not have to pull the firearm? Until a few years ago that would be considered assault in Arizona. It made me wonder what Michigan law was? I would dislike going to jail for assault just because I didn't pull my firearm.

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Legal or Not
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:08:18 AM »
As of august 11th 2015, the laws in the links below will define brandishing, and allow for it in circumstances where self defense would be authorized under the self defense act. In other words, threats of death, great bodily harm, or forcible sexual penetration, to yourself or others, will now be a lawful justification for brandishing.

House Bill 4160 and 4161 of 2015

Bill Analysis
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
Previously it was implied that you were using deadly force which is protected under the Michigan Self-Defense Act. Now it is explicit.

Just a quick pat on the back, you should know that MOC wrote those bills. http://www.miopencarry.org/legislative/define-brandishing

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
Thank you.