Author Topic: Are potato cannons legal in michigan?  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
Are potato cannons legal in michigan?
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:34:28 AM »
I live in hudsonville. I use hairspray as my propellant and shoot only potatos. I use firearm commonsense when firing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Open carry, Open minds

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Are potato cannons legal in michigan?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:08:46 AM »
I'd call it a muzzle loading cannon, which I don't know of any restrictions on the manufacture or possession of, but I am neither an attorney nor expert in this subject matter.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline ohiooc

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »
First you have to define what it is before you can decide if it is legal:

CHAPTER 1 CHAPTER 1. OF THE STATUTES.
8.3t “Firearm” defined.
Sec. 3t. The word “firearm”, except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion, except any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling BB’s not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air.
History: Add. 1959, Act 189, Imd. Eff. July 22, 1959.
From http://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf

So, by statute, it is a Firearm.

Now the question is: are firearms legal in Michigan?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »
Not so fast.  That definition of firearm is outdated.  The new definition of firearm is: "“Firearm” means any weapon which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by action of an explosive."

Potato guns are not firearms. (Or more accurately at least they will not be firearms).  The new law goes into effect August 10, 2015, 90 days after the bill was signed.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-123-1101-amended

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
If the potato cannon is powered by spring or air, it would not be a firearm under the revised statute. 

If a <insert object here> uses an explosion to expel a projectile, it is a firearm.  This is true under old and new definitions. 

The law does not state "detonation of an explosive."  Which means that both detonation and deflagration type explosions apply.  An explosion occurs when over-pressurization is achieved through a chemical reaction.  Hair spray, when ignited in a sealed chamber, deflagrates creating over-pressurization and expels a projectile (the potato).  Hair spray doesn't detonate, but that doesn't exclude it from being an explosive.

Firearms are legal in Michigan.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
123.1101.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE AUGUST 10, 2015

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:37:14 PM »
Tom, I did state August 10 in my post. :)

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »
Oops. Sorry missed that Dan.