Author Topic: OC in Courthouse  (Read 9895 times)

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
OC in Courthouse
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
I'm thinking that this would be a no go situation, but can a person with a CPL OC in Courthouse? I'm thinking that since courthouses became a CEZ because of a declaration from the MI supreme court that that would trump the normal CEZ OC situation.

Offline Scandiacus

Re: OC in Courthouse
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »
No carry of any kind in a courthouse.  Courthouses were never declared PFZs by the legislature but instead fall under judicial authority, and therefore the "normal CEZ OC situation" would never have applied anyway.  Rather, the Michigan Supreme Court has declared that weapons are not permitted in any space used for court business which, I assume, extends to a courthouse as a whole, and their word on the subject is final.

From the MSP:

"Effective March 29, 2001, per Administrative Order 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court:

"Weapons are not permitted in any courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval consistent with the court's written policy.""

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »
No carry of any kind in a courthouse.  Courthouses were never declared PFZs by the legislature but instead fall under judicial authority, and therefore the "normal CEZ OC situation" would never have applied anyway.  Rather, the Michigan Supreme Court has declared that weapons are not permitted in any space used for court business which, I assume, extends to a courthouse as a whole, and their word on the subject is final.

From the MSP:

"Effective March 29, 2001, per Administrative Order 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court:

"Weapons are not permitted in any courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval consistent with the court's written policy.""

QFT...

There has been much debate about whether this applies to non-court offices in a courthouse.  (i.e. County Clerk office in courthouse)  AFAIK, there has been no court cases challenging this.  Unless you desire to become a test case, the above applies to inside the four walls of a building containing a court.

IANAL, but it is my understanding that open or concealed carry, with a valid CPL, would be "Contempt of Court" because it is not legislated statute.  Maximum penalty would be $7,500 and 93 days in jail, at a judge's discretion.  (Without a CPL is a violation of MCL 750.234d)
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
"Weapons are not permitted in any courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval consistent with the court's written policy.""[/i]

It can happen, just need the right person in charge.

And I thought I heard or read there is a county court that does allow. But I can't say for sure.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
I've read that there is one judge in Michigan that allows this, forget who or where.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:38 AM »
I haven't voted to re-elect a single black robed douchebag since 2001, and won't until one of them moves to remove the cattle chutes from my county building.

Can you imagine the expense we've endured over the past 14 years, not to mention the unwarranted searches and personal inconveniences? Compare the cost of the screening equipment, and having three senior deputies running each checkpoint full time for the past 14 years, with the costs caused by armed citizens in the 14 years prior to that, and I'm pretty sure we'd find that the 'solution' is far worse than the 'problem'.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
Hillsdale county allows carry everywhere but the actual courtrooms. They also provide secure lockers I believe

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."