Author Topic: How do you keep the piece in your car?  (Read 16598 times)

stainless1911

How do you keep the piece in your car?
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
I had  fun with this on another site, so I brought it here too.
96 Z-28

Offline EM87

Re: How do you keep the piece in your car?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »
I just keep my GLOCK on the passenger seat.  I have a IWB holster with a plastic clip that I want to attach to my car somehow so it would sit by my leg, but I haven't gotten around to making a clip or anything yet.
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

stainless1911

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
Well c'mon then, All ya gotta do is do it to it. :D
If you have to maneuver quickly trying to escape, then you dont want it getting away from you do you? Start with a retension holster in case you have a crash someday, the gun will be there, and the trigger will always be protected.

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:20 PM »
I carry with a serpa and I have it tilted forward as far as it will go. When seated, it is pretty much upright so it's easy to get to. The seatbelt can get somewhat in the way, but a quick shift of balance opens it right up.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:32:37 AM »
I carry with a serpa and I have it tilted forward as far as it will go. When seated, it is pretty much upright so it's easy to get to. The seatbelt can get somewhat in the way, but a quick shift of balance opens it right up.

Same for me.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline kyleplusitunes

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:31:05 AM »
when my gun is in my car, does it have to be holstered?  or can i just sit my gun on my dashboard unholstered?

stainless1911

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
If you have a CPL, you can have your gun any way you want it. On you, or otherwise. I recommend keeping it where you can get to it during a chase or crash.

Offline SpringerXDacp

• AmmoDump
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »
when my gun is in my car, does it have to be holstered?  or can i just sit my gun on my dashboard unholstered?

What Stainless said.  Folks with a CPL can duct tape it to their forehead and it's legal.

As for the dashboard carry thing, the consensus is that dashboard carry will most likely get you in some heated situations.  e.g. MWAG calls.

Offline sasha601

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »
I carry my gun in a specialty holster made by Garrity Gunleather: http://garritysgunleather.com/C&D-Rear.jpg

The loop goes around seatbelt (horizontal part of seatbelt that lays on top of legs). So, gun is riding on your legs securely in the holster and ready for rapid presentation. Before exiting car, I remove gun and place it under small blanket on the passenger seat. Holster remains attached on the seatbelt. I found this very convenient. Garrity Gunleather is one of the finest holster makers and he has crazy wait times. But, look around. Some holster makers have similar specialty holsters. This is basically the same design as crossdraw holster. However, you need the loop that opens up with button in order to put it around seatbelt. 

Offline EM87

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »

What Stainless said.  Folks with a CPL can duct tape it to their forehead and it's legal.

Wait.... wouldn't that be brandishing?  ;D

Just playin'
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
I keep mine right under my left shoulder in a FOBUS roto holster.  Got a good price on the FOBUS set; a roto holster that can be carried in a thigh; or shoulder rig as well as on the hip all interchangable wit the turn of a screw.  The windows of my Caddi are tinted so I'm not worried about madam gun grabber seeing it as I driver past and calling the police on my car!   

FOBUS also makes a unit designed to be placed any where; on a bed frame, under a desk and Im sure it would work in a vehicle too. 
The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

stainless1911

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »
Thats one reason I like the tint on my Z. Keeps the  :o  out.

I would like to see an exemption for tinted windows in the law for CPL holders. They claim officer safety in the argument against tint, and we are least likely of any group to harm an officer.

Offline SpringerXDacp

• AmmoDump
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »
Thats one reason I like the tint on my Z. Keeps the  :o  out.

I would like to see an exemption for tinted windows in the law for CPL holders. They claim officer safety in the argument against tint, and we are least likely of any group to harm an officer.

I would think the elimination of restricted (CPL) car carry and the CPZ's are exponentally more important then window tint restrictions. 

stainless1911

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »
Absolutely!!! that goes without saying, but it would be nice to get it in as an attatchment on a bill.

Offline HVYMTLMEC

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
I keep one on my hip and another in the glove box.

Offline Beerme

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
Stainless
I love the redneck engineering at work
keep us lookin good buddy :D

Offline ISMOID

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 08:32:48 AM »
+1

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 09:25:40 AM »
Im pretty lazy.  I just glove box one.  I do at least set my keys up on a quick release with my glove box key ready to come off without messing with the ignition or turning off the car.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline StingMP9

• "Yes Have Some" - Harold Ramis - Ghostbusters
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »
I keep mine right under my left shoulder in a FOBUS roto holster.  Got a good price on the FOBUS set; a roto holster that can be carried in a thigh; or shoulder rig as well as on the hip all interchangable wit the turn of a screw.  The windows of my Caddi are tinted so I'm not worried about madam gun grabber seeing it as I driver past and calling the police on my car!   

FOBUS also makes a unit designed to be placed any where; on a bed frame, under a desk and Im sure it would work in a vehicle too. 

What type of retention does the FOBUS offer? I'm browsing them at Opticsplanet.com and they look passive to me.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
Most of them are passive although they do have a level 2 line for the Glock.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."