Author Topic: Arming the military on US soil  (Read 3781 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Arming the military on US soil
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:04 AM »
Those laws vary state to state, as a guide released by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives details. All states allow gun owners to carry some form of concealed weapon, but licensing and permitting can be drastically different. Openly carrying a firearm is only allowed in a handful of states.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/07/22/why-arming-military-recruiters-after-chattanooga-is-so-legally-complicated/

I guess we can't expect WaPo journalists to be able to count past five.
Normally, a 'handful' means five or less, right?
Since when does a majority of the 50 states constitute a 'handful'?
Even if we limit it to states that allow unlicensed OC and states that issue licenses to temporary military residents, it's way more than a handful.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Arming the military on US soil
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 09:41:13 AM »
Open carry is allowed in 44 states (soon to be 45).  Although admittedly a few of those states you need a license which is impossible to get for the average bear (like Maryland).  But the majority of those 45 states it isn't.  No license is required at all in 30.

The WaPo writers are idiots.

I am confident that soon Florida will allow OC.  South Carolina would probably have OC now if the last OC bill didn't allow unlicensed OC which made state LEOs freak out (which was the correct way to write the bill).

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
South Carolina would probably have OC now if the last OC bill didn't allow unlicensed OC which made state LEOs freak out (which was the correct way to write the bill).

I wish somebody would have the courage to tell the LEO unions to STFU when it comes to legislation that doesn't involve them.
Their job is to enforce the law, not write it.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
I wish the Michigan State Police didn't have so much influence on our bills.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:02:21 AM »
I wish the Michigan State Police didn't have so much influence on our bills.

They shouldn't have any, other than to apprise the legislators on what is and is not enforceable.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
South Carolina would probably have OC now if the last OC bill didn't allow unlicensed OC which made state LEOs freak out (which was the correct way to write the bill).

They want to leave an open door for stop and identify.  "I see you are open carrying, show me your papers!"
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:39:20 PM »
Exactly.

Offline MP Miller

• MOC Member
    • Shadowbox
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »
Those laws vary state to state, as a guide released by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives details. All states allow gun owners to carry some form of concealed weapon, but licensing and permitting can be drastically different. Openly carrying a firearm is only allowed in a handful of states.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/07/22/why-arming-military-recruiters-after-chattanooga-is-so-legally-complicated/

I guess we can't expect WaPo journalists to be able to count past five.
Normally, a 'handful' means five or less, right?
Since when does a majority of the 50 states constitute a 'handful'?
Even if we limit it to states that allow unlicensed OC and states that issue licenses to temporary military residents, it's way more than a handful.
The military can be armed legally in all 50 states right now as long as it's within the course of their duties.
The world needs more Libertarians