Author Topic: Jaywalking is an arrestable offense?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Jaywalking is an arrestable offense?
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
I found it interesting that jaywalking involves disrupting traffic, merely walking where there isn't a crosswalk or against a traffic light apparently doesn't rise to the standard of jaywalking.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08/06/police-stop-man-for-jaywalking-and-find-over-30-bags-of-marijuana-illegal-gun-heres-how-he-escaped-all-charges/

Police arrested Dwight Robinson for jaywalking, then found 30 bags of marijuana and a gun on him during a search, WJBK-TV reported.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Jaywalking is an arrestable offense?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:16:41 PM »
He'll probably plea. If he had a good lawyer he could probably get the arrest and subsequent search tossed.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »
He'll probably plea. If he had a good lawyer he could probably get the arrest and subsequent search tossed.

Robinson’s lawyer, however, successfully argued that his client wasn’t jaywalking at all. Because he didn’t disrupt any traffic, he was simply “crossing the street.” Therefore, Robinson should never have been stopped — and if he hadn’t been stopped, cops wouldn’t have found the gun or the pot.

“There was a constitutional violation, which superseded the criminal violation,” attorney Andrew Densemo explained to WJBK.

“My client got off because the Constitution says that the laws have to be respected,” Densemo continued. “And the lesson you learn is that the rights of citizens can still be protected by the best legal system in the world.”
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Bear1

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:27 PM »
I wonder if they had to return the gun and the drugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »
I wonder if they had to return the gun and the drugs?

If they did, they'd think up a new reason to search him before he made it to the parking lot.