Author Topic: Moar Training!  (Read 4859 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Moar Training!
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:03:31 AM »
I took Defensive Handgun II last weekend from ATHG Tactical down in Adrian.  This is the third (non-CPL) class I've taken from them.  I'm signed up to take another Carbine course in the fall.

Lots of fun, lots of knowledge transfer, lots of rounds discharged.  Vehicles and especially glass is an element that I had zero experience with entering the class.  It is an experience to train in and around a car. 

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/dA362

Yes, that's a shell casing in mid-air
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Moar Training!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »
Lot's of LEO's in attendance? Because they are so highly trained and trusted. Or was it like classes I have taken where it is just us plain citizens looking for more training.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:51 PM »
No student in the classes I've taken have been a LEO. Just civilians learning.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
So none of the civilians in the classes you attended were LEOs?

That stands to reason. While a minority of cops are involved in the shooting sports (I know a retired Trooper who used to compete in practical pistol shoots, but gave it up when he cut back on luxury spending after he retired), very, very few are going to pay out of pocket for "police training".
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
Training is good.  You learn a lot and do stuff you would never do on your own.  I took Handgun I and II from MDFI two years ago.  I always said I'd go back and take at least Carbine I but I haven't yet.

http://trainmdfi.com/

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »
So none of the civilians in the classes you attended were LEOs?

Okay, there was one gentlemen that was a retired Sheriff's deputy. Probably mid to late 60's.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 02:16:13 AM »
What did the class cost? How long was it?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 03:12:11 PM »
What did the class cost? How long was it?

$150 tuition for 8 hours
~340 rounds of ammo consumed. ($75-ish)

Total $225

edit: to clarify, I brought my own ammo.  I look at cost as tuition + ammo.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
$150 includes shooting through the windshield? Who brings the windshield?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »
$150 includes shooting through the windshield? Who brings the windshield?

Yes, $150 included shooting through the windshield.  The vehicle and windshield were provided by the instructor. 

There was a discussion about working out a deal with a local glass repair shop to get damaged windshields.  I don't recall any cracks in this windshield prior to bullet holes.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
Sounds like a killer deal!