Author Topic: deterrent effect  (Read 7474 times)

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
deterrent effect
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:27:24 AM »
Once again, in a gas station, I was reminded of the deterrent effect. 

Guy on a beeline to "share" some religious material with me.  In a firm voice I said "stop, please back up".  He looks at me, starts to say something, looks at my firearm, and leaves the gas station.

Offline freediver

Re: deterrent effect
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »
Mr part deux: So let me see if I understand this correctly: A person approaches you peaceably at a public venue with the aim of exercising their 1st amendment right to free speech. A right has been upheld many times in court cases and is one of the cornerstones of our Constitution. Your response, rather than engage them in a similarly peaceable and friendly manner, is to say "stop, please back up" with a hint towards your firearm.

Is this the way you want to resolve all interactions? If it's something you don't like, use the threat of armed force to make someone go away?

That's an interesting approach to normal human interaction.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
First of all, I made ZERO hint of my firearm.

And yes, someone getting to close to me on some pretense is worthy of being told to back up.

Or would you eliminate my free speech too?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 02:24:06 PM »
freediver == troll evaluates to true.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
if (freediver==troll)
   ignore();
else
   engage();

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
if (freediver==troll);
   ignore();
} else {
   engage();
}
yes dear... I'll stop feeding the troll.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 12:33:41 AM »
I like feeding trolls bleach.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline freediver

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
So, I see once again that when a differing opinion is offered, the name calling begins. Especially the comment about feeding bleach. That strikes me as hypocritical: you want to exercise your constitutional rights. Yet when someone else does exactly that in a manner you don't like, your desire is to shut them up, call them names, and suggest they drink bleach. It's pretty childish. Even tyrannical in a way. Given the sober responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm, I would question whether you are mature enough to do so.

If you want to engage me, I look forward to that. A healthy, spirited discussion is a hallmark of an open and free society.

Mr part deux: I'm not suggesting that you not exercise any of your rights. I am merely saying "stop, back away" and a firearm may be an overreaction to religious literature. A gun shouldn't be the go-to choice for normal human interactions.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
TLDR
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
freediver, what Constitutional rights of yours are being denied?

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »
The freedom to troll internet forums without being labeled a troll?
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
Mr part deux: I'm not suggesting that you not exercise any of your rights. I am merely saying "stop, back away" and a firearm may be an overreaction to religious literature. A gun shouldn't be the go-to choice for normal human interactions.
Unknown assailant, unknown intentions in an area known for crime issues approached by someone "claiming" to be peddling propaganda, hell yes they are going to be told to back off... especially driving my fav car.

AGAIN, at no time did I touch, point to or otherwise highlight my firearm.  That is entirely your projection.

Offline freediver

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »
Mr part deux: Fair enough! And your fav car is......?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 11:26:50 AM »
Mr part deux: Fair enough! And your fav car is......?
Plum Crazy Charger Daytona

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
The only real Charger Daytonas I've seen in that color are Hot Wheels, but I've seen Mercedes W210 chassis Chargers with that name.

I assume yours was made in this century?

http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/%2769_Dodge_Charger_Daytona
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
The only real Charger Daytonas I've seen in that color are Hot Wheels, but I've seen Mercedes W210 chassis Chargers with that name.

I assume yours was made in this century?

http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/%2769_Dodge_Charger_Daytona
I'm short a few Dineros to afford one of those.

Awesome road car, and I'm even towing a travel trailer with it.

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »
I'm even towing a travel trailer with it.

Why not?
It's the same basic chassis as the Dodge Magnum and my e320 Wagon which I pull a tow dolly with.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »
Why not?
It's the same basic chassis as the Dodge Magnum and my e320 Wagon which I pull a tow dolly with.

I'm towing near max capacity and get a lot of comments from the weight police.  Only issue I've had has been in heavy traffic in hot weather.  High speed fans come on at 226, and at that point the engine starts entering a runaway condition.  Using my predator, I tuned the high speed fan to come on at 219... mucho better.

Installed a P3 brake controller, and that was critical.  I towed it 4 miles from the house to storage facility without the controller, and that was the last time I did that.  That's a lot freaking wt back there to not have a brake controller.

Load leveling bars, I'm just barely out of level.  Load leveling shocks finish leveling the trailer out.

Sway bar is necessary on the freeway, but between the house and storage site, I don't bother... although the one time I was forced to use the freeway to get to my house... that was the last time I went on the freeway without sway bar :)

Final thing was an OBD2 blue tooth sending unit and the torque app.  I monitor, trans temp, engine temp, ambient temp, intake temp, and throttle position.  Trans doesn't even care the trailers back there.

We may be doing a trip to carolina's this winter.  Mtn travel is my biggest concern, but lower ambient temp should help with engine temp.  My fan adjustment is only while A/C is on.  If I need to make a change I will.

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »

Installed a P3 brake controller, and that was critical.

Absolutely need something like the P3 or a Jordan.

There's no excuse to install a brake controller that doesn't apply the trailer brakes in proportion to the tow vehicle brakes.
I once drove a friend's F250 with a ten horse trailer and some stupid timer-activated controller.
The only thing more annoying than having the brakes come on full hard while you're modulating the brakes at 10mph in a traffic jam is stopping in an emergency and going 100' before the trailer brakes kick in.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 09:48:02 AM »
After calibrating the brakes, I set it one level higher, so the brakes are activated 25% harder than tow vehicle.  Looking at the Mopar hitch design, I'm betting the reason it's tongue weight limited is to account for people towing without brakes.

Towing Friday in the rain, for some reason the electrical bond between the trailer and charger got lost, and I lost the brakes in the process.  First exit I was off fixing that!