Author Topic: MLive: Should fifth-graders have loaded firearms while at school?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Yes, that headline seems unnecessarily inflammatory.

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/08/ken_braun_should_fifth_graders.html

"It's a school day, and in a few moments the Walled Lake Consolidated Schools is going to put a loaded .22 rifle into the hands of each of those kids and let them fire it repeatedly.

This all happened in 1979, and I was one of those armed grade-schoolers. The rifle range was one of many popular events at fifth-grade camp, a five-day, overnight stay at the Walled Lake Outdoor Education Center that pretty much every kid in the district anticipated as if it were another Christmas.

The relationship between guns and elementary school students has changed a little bit since then..."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:19:42 AM by CitizensHaveRights »
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
Re: MLive: Should fifth-graders have loaded firearms while at school?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
Excellent that you went to a school program to learn firearm safety!

I remember shooting at Boy Scout Camp in the mid 60's with bolt action 22's.  It was one of the weeks favorite activities.  We learned safety, proper handling, and how to respect firearms.  You didn't "fool" with guns...... I remember one kid shot a toad that had the misfortune to hop across the firing line ..... He was in hot water for sure!  Not the toad ... the kid.  But we all learned a lesson from his actions.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: MLive: Should fifth-graders have loaded firearms while at school?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
For a minute I thought you said the kid's punishment included hopping around on the firing line...

I modified the OP to make it a little more clear that the italicized text after the link is from the article, not my own words.

The only firearms I recall seeing on the school bus when I was a kid were on their way too/from shop class in the hands of high school kids. And aside from watching Maple Valley's future high school principal build a muzzle loader kit in shop class I never saw one in a school setting off the bus.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?