Author Topic: Traverse City School Carry  (Read 2821 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Traverse City School Carry
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »
http://www.record-eagle.com/news/local_news/new-bill-court-case-fuel-debate-over-guns-in-schools/article_32a6855d-0a24-59cd-8733-10724a9915cc.html

The Michigan Association of School Boards argued in a court brief filed this week for local control of gun rules.

Joel Gerring, assistant legal counsel for the association, said a loophole is created by the fact that no law specifically mentions concealed pistol license holders and open carry.

Gerring said he's arguing against a previously dismissed case in which the judge said the practice is permitted and compared schools to libraries. Instead, Gerring said schools are more like courts, which have the autonomy to set their own rules.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Traverse City School Carry
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:31:45 AM »
Umm... What?
Are schools supposed to be the forth branch of government now or something?
The only reason that courts in MI can have their no gun rules is that they (the MI supreme court) claim to be outside of the legislatures sphere of control when it comes to setting rules of conduct. Are we now supposed to believe the same thing about schools?
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
How are schools like courts?  They have metal detectors and multiple armed LEOs there all the time?  Also what mosnar said.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »
Ah, the spaghetti philosophy.  Throw a bunch at a wall and see what sticks.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36