Author Topic: Teaching a 4.5 yr. old gun safety  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Redwingsrule6971

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Laurie
Teaching a 4.5 yr. old gun safety
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
Hi there...

My granddaughter is 4.5 years old and I have been teaching her the two main rules of gun safety so that she has them memorized.  I'll phrase the questions in different ways, just ask her out of the blue, etc... I want to make sure she has them down in her little head and thoroughly understands what they mean and actually KNOWS what to do if she's in that situation.  We've pretended to leave a "gun" and she has to act out what she's supposed to do, etc...

She's seen my gun and I've shown her pictures of other guns, rifles, etc...online.

This weekend I'm getting her for the whole weekend (wahoo!) and I was thinking about taking her to Top Gun or somewhere like that so she can see a lot of other guns and what they look like for real.

My thinking is it's not going to do her any good to know gun safety rules if she doesn't adequately understand (at least to her age level) what a gun is, how they can look different, etc...

My son will also practice with her to keep it fresh in her head since I only see her once a month or so.

An other thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Laurie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of a man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Re: Teaching a 4.5 yr. old gun safety
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:02:01 PM »
I have three daughters: 6,4, and 1.  As a gun owner, I recognize that gun safety starts with me.  Teaching my children about firearm safety is extremely important, as I am human and prone to mistakes.  My personal rule for my house is that firearms are either carried on-body or secured.  We have routines that are strictly follow to avoid situations where the education will be needed.  Education will protect my children at my home and others.

My daughters are free to ask me any question about my firearm or other peoples'.  I have offered to let the older ones handle my firearms, with supervision.  They ask questions about different pieces and parts.  I do this to take the curiosity element away.  They know that there is absolutely no reason to try to sneak a peak, they just need to ask.  ( or agree when Dad offers)

I would expect my father-in-law (who carries) to get explicit permission to teach my children about firearms, take them to a gun store to view firearms, or when they are older, a range.  Not just because of the subject matter, but because of my responsibility as a parent.  You and your son may have differing philosophies and ideas.  It's important for children to hear a consistent message and their role models to be in agreement.

My two cents.

Also, the NRA offers some resources for children: https://eddieeagle.nra.org/
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Teaching a 4.5 yr. old gun safety
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »
So, when do you get a Red Ryder (or maybe Pink Ryder http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor-Products-Pink-Black/dp/B001C0TUQM ) and teach her how to shoot it?

I got a Marksman 1010 pistol when I was 9, but I was a small kid for my age and cocking it was a major effort for me. And since it had horrible accuracy I probably shot far better than it did after a month of practice. I had a 1500 count carton of BBs, would shoot 50' smallbore targets at about 15' in the basement until I ran out of ammo, then I'd sweep the basement with a magnet and shoot some more. I think I was about 12 before I finally ran out of BBs and had to buy more. Still have that first pistol, with its shot out brass barrel, probably has at least 20,000 rounds through it.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Redwingsrule6971

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Laurie
Teaching a 4.5 yr. old gun safety
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:46:17 PM »
My son and I are definitely on the same page about gun safety. He is in fact thinking of getting his CPL and learning the ins and out of open carrying... I just recently added him to the FB page so he could learn more.

When my granddaughter is around, gun is always on me or secured, of course. 

She hasn't asked much of why I carry a gun or anything, but I've always told her to ask questions.  She's very used to seeing me with it on.

When I got my first gun when the kids were younger, we took them target shooting, etc... They were young teens, so I've never taught someone as young as her and want to make sure I do this right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of a man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." - Susan B. Anthony