Author Topic: Pour your own plastic junk AR receiver  (Read 6796 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Pour your own plastic junk AR receiver
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »
Now that is something. I especially like the idea of selling them at buy backs.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:13:32 AM »

Now that is something. I especially like the idea of selling them at buy backs.

Selling a mold may be fine. IIRC, isn't selling a completed, self-manufactured lower a federal crime?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:38:02 AM »
Selling a mold may be fine. IIRC, isn't selling a completed, self-manufactured lower a federal crime?
i know people that make their own rifles... and you can finish machine your own lower.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
I believe making it for resale without the proper mfg license is the crime.

Making yourself an unserialized AR from a 80% receiver is OK, later deciding to sell your unserialized AR is OK, but making ARs for the purpose of selling them is not OK.

Unless there's some sort of LE exemption that applies to these "buybacks", it might not be a good idea to make 20 receivers the day before a "buyback".

The "buyback" is usually "no questions asked / we promise you immunity", which protects you from state prosecution for stealing the gun or murdering somebody with it, but I don't think local/state police can grant you amnesty from feral laws.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »

i know people that make their own rifles... and you can finish machine your own lower.

I'm not saying you can't manufacture a gun legally. I'm saying you can only keep it for personal use -- you may never transfer it.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 10:46:19 AM »
hey, buy backs are supposed to be no questions asked.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 11:04:43 AM »
I'm not saying you can't manufacture a gun legally. I'm saying you can only keep it for personal use -- you may never transfer it.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/can-i-sell-or-give-my-homemade-gun-another-person.htm

They make a point I hadn't thought of on serializing:

Federal law does not require a homemade gun to have an identifying marker (such as a serial number), as long as it remains in the possession of the original maker. However, if the gun is subsequently sold or otherwise transferred, it should be marked prior to its disposition. The ATF suggests that all homemade firearms be marked with a serial number as a safeguard in the event the firearm is lost or stolen, but requires it if the gun is otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »
The guy I knew that made rifles, he'd use them for one hunting season and then sell them to somebody else...  i heard his rifles were highly accurate and sought after.  He knew the laws pretty well and last I knew wasn't living in federal housing :)

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
He milled his own receivers from solid stock, or he built up guns on factory receivers?
All of the 'custom' bolt actions I've seen were on Mauser or Rem700 or Win70 receivers.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »
Bolt action.  Had a machine shop in his basement.