Author Topic: OC holster style preference?  (Read 19943 times)

Offline Theraven536

• First Name (Displayed): Ken
OC holster style preference?
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:50:42 PM »
I have for pistols that I rotate carrying. What I carry any given day, and how I carry (OC, or CC) just depends on what's going on, and how much pain I'm in. I've had two back surgeries (24 and 25 years old) and I'm in chronic pain.

I carry the following:
OC
Ruger SR9 in A Blackhawk CQC paddle OWB retention holster.
Sig P238 in the OWB belt holster it came with
CC
MP40 Shield, IWB soft holster
Remington 1911 R1 .45 IWB soft holster.

When I carry my 1911 for any length of time, it bothers my back because it's so damn heavy. So I picked up a drop leg, tactical retention holster for it. It was delivered today.

So I ask, what do you carry and how do you carry it? What type of holsters do you prefer? If anyone has back issues, I would LOVE to hear what you carry. I had an L5/S1 fusion 10 years ago, and was left with chronic pain.

Also, any recommendations on an audio recorder? I never thought to carry one, before joining.

Please excuse any typos, phone keyboards are not the best...

-theraven536-

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: OC holster style preference?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:22 PM »
My main OC pistol is a Five-seveN carried usually in a Safariland SLS, although I also have a Blackhawk CQC for it.  I will occasionally OC a different pistol for specific reasons in a Safariland as well.

When I CCed the last pistol I carried was a 1911 and I used a Crossbreed.  I can highly recommend a Crossbreed or one of the analogues like a Comp-Tac MTAC.  They are awesome for making a heavy IWB carry comfortable.  As for your back issues, don't know if that will make a difference.  Ounces are ounces, and IWB or OWB won't make a difference, will it?  Will carrying two spare loaded magazines opposite help with the unbalanced weight problems with your back? Two single stacks don't weigh much, though.

As for recorders, get the Sony ICD-333, about $49 street price.  That's the updated ICD-312 which is what I carry.  I wear mine from a short lanyard around my neck under my (button, collared) shirt, but you can also carry it in your shirt pocket or mag pouch.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:39:59 PM by gryphon »

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 12:14:36 AM »
Ounces are ounces, but I find that where the pistol sits matters. My 1911 IWB kills my back after carrying for two hours, but I can carry my SR9 OWB all day without issue. I think it's a two fold issue. With the IWB I walk different, I'm sure. I also change how I stand still, I shift my center of gravity to my right foot more.

I ordered the ICD, and should have it Friday. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:21:36 AM »
No more back issues from my long ago herniated disc since I dropped about 60 pounds over the past 3ish years but I carry a glock 19 and 2 spare mags in a safariland 6367 and a galco belt.  Once my galco belts (I have like 4 of them I switch between) eventually wear out I will be looking to get a higher quality belt, probably from RG Leather or Lake Defense Company.  A good belt can really help if you don't have one yet.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 08:01:40 AM »
I'll 2nd crossbreed.  Wife has a alien gear holster, and there is a difference.

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »
I conceal carry a Ruger LCP in my front pocket everyday. Sometimes I will add a G43 in either a Sawyer concealment apendix holster, or a crossbreed type holster IWB.

When I OC it is usually my G19 in an Uncle Mikes Reflex retention holster.

I don't have any back issues

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »
I conceal carry a Ruger LCP in my front pocket everyday. Sometimes I will add a G43 in either a Sawyer concealment apendix holster, or a crossbreed type holster IWB.

When I OC it is usually my G19 in an Uncle Mikes Reflex retention holster.

I don't have any back issues
I have an LC9 also, with a belt OWB holster. I don't like the LC...  I got it for my ex wife (when she was my wife of course). It fit her hand really well. I don't like the trigger pull on it. I've been thinking about selling it.

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
The LCP is even smaller than the LC9, and yes the trigger sucks, but I have yet to find a gun that size and that easy to conceal and carry everyday with a trigger that didn't suck just as bad. The only thing that comes close is the S&W bodyguard but I have personally seen to many mechanical failures for me to trust my life to one. I can easily train to get used to and overcome the crappy trigger.

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
The LCP is even smaller than the LC9, and yes the trigger sucks, but I have yet to find a gun that size and that easy to conceal and carry everyday with a trigger that didn't suck just as bad. The only thing that comes close is the S&W bodyguard but I have personally seen to many mechanical failures for me to trust my life to one. I can easily train to get used to and overcome the crappy trigger.
The Sig P238 might be what you want. It is a .380, but is smaller then the LC9, I don't know about the LCP.

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
My recorder did show up yesterday, after testing recording quality carrying it in a few places on my person, I need to get a lanyard for it.

I made the drive that I make twice a month, from Jackson to Indian River, to drop off my 3 year old :-(.  I'm using my new drop leg holster worry my 1911 , and I'm happy to say that there is no increased back pain. So I'm glad I got the holster.

We have made a dozen stops this trip, so I'll post our experiences on the correct category shortly. Glad to say no issues.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
In addition to using a lanyard under my shirt, I have also carried in my shirt pocket with equal success.  I've even read of people carrying it in their pants pockets.  What issues were you having, and where have you tried carrying it?  Mine picks up all sounds really well, including at the cash-register/check out in stores.  Do you have the audio noise-filter turned on or something?  You should hear everything really well.  The audio quality is higher and the sound louder than some of the cheaper units from other companies.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »
For you people looking for a small 9mm to carry, have you tried the Kahr K9?  That's probably still the ultimate small 9mm.

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »
In addition to using a lanyard under my shirt, I have also carried in my shirt pocket with equal success.  I've even read of people carrying it in their pants pockets.  What issues were you having, and where have you tried carrying it?  Mine picks up all sounds really well, including at the cash-register/check out in stores.  Do you have the audio noise-filter turned on or something?  You should hear everything really well.  The audio quality is higher and the sound louder than some of the cheaper units from other companies.
When it's in my left front pocket, the audio is so muffled that it would be worthless. You can't hear what's said from someone standing 5 feet away. Some of it, it's because of my drop holster. It squeaks.... 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
That doesn't make any sense to me.  The mic is on top of the unit.  When I carry on a lanyard the recorder is hanging upside down under my shirt and and it still works fine.  Something sounds amiss.  Others here have the same unit (well, probably the older 312 like mine) and I don't believe any of them have had problems, either.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »
I carry my olympus in it's soft pouch with the mic uncovered at the top and rarely use a lanyard.  I prefer it in my cargo pant leg pocket but it doesn't fit well when my iphone 6 is in it's normal position in the outer leg pocket so often put it in my front pocket, or zippered jacket pockets and it records well.  It even picks up conversations in front of my mtn bike when zipped up in my under the seat bag with the mic facing backwards (had to call to review a recent encounter when it was in this position).  It has served me well for 4 or 5 years now with a handful of rechargeable batteries I rotate thru.

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 09:55:45 PM »
That doesn't make any sense to me.  The mic is on top of the unit.  When I carry on a lanyard the recorder is hanging upside down under my shirt and and it still works fine.  Something sounds amiss.  Others here have the same unit (well, probably the older 312 like mine) and I don't believe any of them have had problems, either.
Strange. The jeans I'm wearing are tighter then I generally wear, I wonder if that could be part of the cause. Tight pockets, causing the mic to pick up scratching. I just realized all the testing I've done, I've been walking around. I haven't done any where I'm standing still and recording... If I'm standing still, I would assume it wouldn't rustle as bad... Something to test.

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:59 PM »
Okay, I just did some testing outside. Everything was how I walk around every day. Two phones in left pocket (work and personal cell), wallet back left pocket, asthma inhaler right pocket, drop holster, with 1911, right leg.
Test 1
In the house, standing still, recorder in pocket, t-shirt over pocket, 5' away from GF.
Conversation was clear.
Test 2
In the house, same setup as test 1, walking.
Conversation was unintelligible
Test 3
Outside, addition of coat covering recorder. Walking.
Conversation was unintelligible
Test 4
Outside, same setup as before standing still.
Conversation was clear.
Test 5
Same setup as before, 8' apart, talking with slightly raised voice.
Conversation was clear.
Test 6
Moved mic outside pocket, recorder still inside pocket. Everything else was the same as prior test.
Conversation was clear.
Test 6
Same setup as previous test, walking.
Conversation was muffled, but understandable.
Test 7
Moved recorder to jacket pocket
Walking and standing still,
Conversation was clear.

So I can say that when I'm walking, with the recorder in my (tighter then I normally wear) jeans, the recorder is useless. Outside that, works fine. Tomorrow I will wear normal jeans, and repeat the tests.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
Generally the most important bits of the recording (i.e. any type of OC related encounter) you would be standing still for.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
Have you tried putting the recorder in your shirt pocket instead of your pants?

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »
Have you tried putting the recorder in your shirt pocket instead of your pants?
I wore a t-shirt today. I'll test that tomorrow also. I would assume that will give me the same or similer as a lanyard.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »
So, what's happening here, is the thing picking up the sound of cloth rubbing on it instead of outside sounds?
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 08:33:15 AM »
So, what's happening here, is the thing picking up the sound of cloth rubbing on it instead of outside sounds?
Correct.

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »
Problem resolved. I had some layered cordage laying around. I pulled about a yard, stripped the center, and made a lanyard.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 11:36:27 PM »
The Sony ICD-333 supports a remote microphone. 

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/emanual/ICD-PX333/HG/EN/contents/TP0000016723.html

I've never needed, nor used one.  But the feature is there.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
I've used a remote mic with my older Sony recorder, and it worked wonderfully.

Offline Theraven536

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
After putting it on a lanyard, I haven't had any audio issues. It's recording great now.