Author Topic: Then why have them?!  (Read 7042 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Then why have them?!
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
http://www.theforecaster.net/the-universal-notebook-sick-of-guns-sick-of-intimidation/

“In an ideal world here’s what we’d do about guns. First, we’d replace the Second Amendment with a law stating that gun ownership is a privilege, not a right. Only people over 21 who have passed an extensive background check and a gun safety course would be allowed to own firearms, subject to certain limitations. No automatic or semiautomatic weapons. No assault weapons. No high-capacity magazines. No silencers. Concealed-weapon permits issued by police only upon demonstrated need . . .

All gun owners to drill once every two years with local law enforcement because, after all, the right to bear arms is not about hunting, it’s about maintaining a well-regulated militia. None of this is likely to occur of course, but, at the very least, we should make every effort to pass a universal background-check law. At this point I could care less whether background checks would have any effect on gun violence or not.” – Edgar Allen Beem, The Universal Notebook: Sick of guns, sick of intimidation

"...at the very least, we should make every effort to pass a universal background-check law. At this point I could care less whether background checks would have any effect on gun violence or not.”

Then why have them?!

This guy admits he doesn’t even care if his desired infringements on natural rights actually have any effect.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Then why have them?!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
Because...gun owners?

Obviously he just wants to make it difficult to own guns, like his forefathers wanted to make it difficult for blacks to vote.

To paraphrase: I don't care if my proposal would achieve any social good, disparagement of the rights of those who want to own guns is its own reward.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »
Because it's not about guns or safety its about control.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »
Do we now know Freedivers name??

Offline Ultra

• More Than You Bargained For
  • Ultranewschannel.tumblr.com
    • Autopuzzles
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
Do we now know Freedivers name??

IMHO, a bit of a non sequitur.
Ultranewschannel.Tumblr.Com

Offline Theraven536

• First Name (Displayed): Ken
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
But we have to do something!!! Even if it violates our rights, at least we can say we did something. Even if it didn't work.
/sarcasm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
Dear MoveOn member,

We’ve developed a breakthrough strategy to destroy the National Rifle Association’s credibility in Washington: gun owners committed to fighting for gun control.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/11/robert-farago/moveon-orgs-plan-to-destroy-the-national-rifle-associations-credibility-in-washington/
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline freediver

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
Mr citizenshaverights: It's hard to take your article seriously when there are links about Hollywood's biggest melons and other stupid tawdry fare.

The NRA's original charter was for gun safety and education. Applaudable. In the last 25 years they have morphed into a different organization. They are now more interested in money and political power and being a lobbying arm for the gun manufacturing industry.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 04:03:19 PM »
Do you really not know about the most read gun blog on the internet? You are a bigger troll than I thought.

Offline freediver

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »
Sorry, Mr bigT; I get my information from a wider variety of sources. I occasionally read gun blogs but I like to branch out a lot farther and see what other people are saying and thinking. It allows me to keep an open mind and have a broader look at issues.

And I repeat; it's hard to take an article seriously that has a link to Hollywood's biggest melons. Not quite the hard-core journalism I am looking for. Perhaps it is you who might want to read a broader variety of opinions.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Spend some time looking at that blog and you will (probably not) understand how ridiculous your comment is.

As for the ad, I don't see anything about "melons". My guess is you are seeing something in the sponsored links section. If you know anything of how the internet works, then you would know that TTAG has no control over what ads appear. Further, they are likely targeted towards you and based on tracking information stored on your computer.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
The thing about freediver is, he's not a principled gun owner. No one knows why he spent $20 to join this group -- his principles do not align
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Ultra

• More Than You Bargained For
  • Ultranewschannel.tumblr.com
    • Autopuzzles
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »
As for the ad, I don't see anything about "melons". My guess is you are seeing something in the sponsored links section. If you know anything of how the internet works, then you would know that TTAG has no control over what ads appear. Further, they are likely targeted towards you and based on tracking information stored on your computer.

And, if he had any clue whatsoever, he would realize what an incredible faux pas he has made here.

I'm not holding my breath.
Ultranewschannel.Tumblr.Com

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
Not only does he not understand guns, he doesn't understand the internet. Interesting, he places the blame for both on the same people.

Offline freediver

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:46 PM »
Mr bigT: the link to the article was yours, not mine. So I guess any references to melons would be coming from your computer, not mine.

As far as the other personal comments, sorry gentlemen: since you don't actually know me personally ( and I don't know you) all the other commentary is just fluff. If you want to talk issues and hard data, great. If you want to engage in a childish game of name calling, I'm just not your guy.

Best of luck.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:23:05 PM »
Mr bigT: the link to the article was yours, not mine. So I guess any references to melons would be coming from your computer, not mine.

And there you have it folks. No understanding of the internet, but nice try. Ok, not really.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
Hmmm I get an ad for off-road parts and gun parts. Based on what I search the most.. You get melons bahahhahahha that is awesome.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."