Author Topic: MLIVE: 'Gun Owner' explains why it's foolish to carry  (Read 3802 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
MLIVE: 'Gun Owner' explains why it's foolish to carry
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »
2789 comments so far. Must be one of the most successful pieces of click bait that MLive ever published, and the don't even have to pay the author for it.

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/01/im_a_gun_owner_with_a_license.html

I strongly feel I do not have enough day to day familiarity with a handgun to be useful in a gunfight. It's more likely I would do more harm than good with a firearm, as my once-a-month range time is still not sufficient to be accurate in pressure situations.

Police officers spend far more time with their duty weapons than I ever could, and they are the first people to tell you that handguns are drawn only as a last resort.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
Re: MLIVE: 'Gun Owner' explains why it's foolish to carry
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »
Im sure many carriers feel as described in this posting and wish they had shot more regardless of that number.

I also believe that the part about COPS shooting so much is false, without question. I don't know what the poster was dreaming in that regard.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
He should come work a competition and watch police officers shoot.  There are
  • Great shooters, but not champion level or
  • awful shots, or
  • dangerous

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »
Lenawee County Sheriff's Dept. goes way above the MCOLES standard. MCOLES requires annual certification with a handgun and again with a long gun. The Sheriff requires his deputies to shoot once a month, and some still have to retest. The idea that police are the only ones qualified enough to carry a gun is absurd. The classes I've taken from MDFI and various trainers over the years are much more demanding.