Author Topic: OC in Texas  (Read 78421 times)

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
OC in Texas
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:49:52 PM »
Hi friends!

Well it's been a while since I've been on here.  I always thought my first OC experience would be in the great state of Michigan!  But finally we got OC here in Texas, and I OC'd for the first time the night of January 1st. I live in Dallas, and I keep a log every time I OC, and where, etc.  At first I would just go OC at night, when I'd take my son to skateboard at a fairly empty but nice park area.   Except for my first OC on January 1st, I've been doing it on my own ever since.  So I'll be honest, I was a bit apprehensive at first, and kept my OC log so it would encourage me to get braver.   

After about the fifth time I had OC'd in that park, a police officer showed up and watched me for 15 minutes - but no encounter (maybe he was just having lunch).  But that gave me the courage to finally OC inside the local 7-11.  Wow, was I unprepared for the response that followed.  They LOVED it.  Now I knew the owner and the guys that worked there, and I saw it as a "safe haven" since the owner had already told me he was in favor of it in his 7-11.  But as it turns out, the guy who is 2nd in command there was THRILLED to have me come in OCing with my Beretta 92FS (I use a Blackhawk carbon fiber retention holster by the way). 

As it turns out, that very 7-11 employee had been held at gunpoint by a robber at the store just a month earlier, and it had really shook him up.  So he told me "I love it!  I want you to carry that in here every time!".  Well, for a guy new to OC, and a bit apprehensive of police and just the situation in general (not that I thought I was doing wrong - on the contrary I'm a huge proponent of OC and helped promote it during the last 2 years of debate here), that was a big confidence builder.  But meanwhile, while I was trying to build my confidence and OC in new and more places, I couldn't find any other gun-friendly friends of mine willing to try and OC with me.  They kept telling me they only want to CC.  So I've been on my own except that first day, January 1st.  So to find such a friendly store to begin to OC in was a real blessing.  It helped build my strength and courage to begin to OC more, and in more and more locations.

So a few days ago, after having gone from OCing only at night in the park... to now every day in the 7-11 as well, I got the courage and went directly from that 7-11 to the local Kroger.  I'd heard that the CFO of Kroger was very pro-gun and basically had told Moms against Guns to get lost.  I even googled the topic and read an article about it before I headed into the Kroger.  It was another safe have for OCing, as I saw it, and it was the next natural progression for me.  I'm sure a lot of people saw my Beretta, but all in all it was a very uneventful time in the store.  Now I was getting confident, and I went next to the Taco Bell, and inside the restaurant there.  Another receptive audience!  The guy behind the counter saw my gun and he was giddy, asking me all kinds of questions about OC.  I was really beginning to enjoy this, educating the people about their new found ability to OC here. 

Now, here in just the past 2 days, I've made the decision I never thought I would:   I've decided I'm going to OC everywhere I go, all the time (except work and places I can't, plus church where I'll continue to CC - I keep the Beretta in the holster and put it in a pretty cool bag I use for a variety of things, but mainly my gun.  Yep, it's a man purse but so much more really). 

Today I OC'd in 7-11 and later in an In-N-Out Burger.  That was cool because that's a California restaurant and they are pro-OC.  Yet Whataburger, the famous local Texas burger joint has come out against OC.  Guess what?  I think I'll keep my business at places that allow me to OC.  Sorry Whataburger. 

So that's my story.  It's day 21 of my new found freedom to OC here in Texas.  I'm really loving it - far more than I ever imagined!  I feel real freedom, and I enjoy it.  I enjoy letting others know that they have rights as citizens.  I think I've also learned that many CC-only types are that way because of something they won't admit:  they are actually SCARED to OC.   Maybe they are worried what others think.  Or they are worried about an encounter with the police.  But I know their opposition to OC is NOT for the reasons they usually give.  They'll say it makes you a target, or it takes away from the element of surprise.  They come up with a number of ways to explain away why they won't OC.  But the real reason is, in my opinion, that they are simply scared to do it.  It takes some guts.  And until you have experience at OCing, it's not an easy thing to do.

The good news is, the more you OC, the more your resolve and your courage grows.  Now, I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm on my way.  I've made the trip from scared to sure, and it's possible you guys at MOC won't understand me.  After all, you've been OCing for quite some time now.  You are pros.  But I'm the new guy, just the novice.  I haven't seen anyone else around that's OCing... it's just been me.  I haven't had really any support from all my gun friends, who continue to CC and don't accept my offers to OC with me. 

So to you, my future friends at MOC (who I will be OCing with one day soon, I hope), I say "THANK YOU".  Thank you, because for over 2 years I have been a part of your group, and have been encouraged by the mere fact that there are others already out there, OCing, who have gone before me. 

Oh, and what do I think about the CC guys who say concealed carry is superior to OC?  I simply laugh, and give them a nice long list of why OC is far superior..... carry the firearm of your choice.... carry a bigger firearm.... more firepower... more bullets... more comfortable... faster draw.... protect and preserve a right by making it seen in public, versus hidden... and finally, because I believe OC is a deterrent to the criminal, as criminals seek to attack the weak (not the strong and armed) - and thus I am the one who tries to avoid conflict, whereas the Concealed Carry proponent appears to prefer to have to attack with a violent response once the criminal unknowingly begins to carry out his crime in the presence of someone who is armed with a weapon.  So much for the benefit of "the element of surprise". 

I choose OC because it is, quite simply, FAR SUPERIOR than concealed carry in so many important ways.  Especially and including the way it gives me a better chance to avoid an armed conflict.  AND because I love my Beretta 92FS, so much more than my tiny little Ruger LCP.  The LCP is great for it's ability to be carried concealed.... but not much else LOL!

Long live MOC!  God Bless!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:36:54 PM by TexasSupporter »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: OC in Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »
Good story, thanks for posting it here!  And yes, each of us was a novice at one time, and I think most if not all of us were at least apprehensive at first. But as you see, it quickly fades with time.

You've had a number of positive encounters right off the bat, which is great. I didnt. Most people here don't notice or don't care. Your experience seems to indicate that Texas was ready for open carry, contrary to what some in the media said.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
OC in Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
Good story, thanks for posting it here!  And yes, each of us was a novice at one time, and I think most if not all of us were at least apprehensive at first. But as you see, it quickly fades with time.

You've had a number of positive encounters right off the bat, which is great. I didnt. Most people here don't notice or don't care. Your experience seems to indicate that Texas was ready for open carry, contrary to what some in the media said.

+1, thanks for posting.

BTW, your holster sucks ;)

Consider the Safariland ALS or Safariland SLS. I realize you needn't worry about snow...but mud and dirt pose similar problems if you end up in a tussle before needing your gun.

#FriendsDontLetFriendsUseSERPA
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:56:27 AM »
...SERPA was my first holster until I bought my ALS and gave away (literally for free) my SERPA.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
Great Post Texas!  Thanks for sharing.  Your comments will help encourage others to OC.  I'm glad to hear of the warm reception in Texas!   :D

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 04:36:13 PM »
I hear the author is a nice guy, too!

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:02:17 AM »
Hey, thanks everyone for your support and your kind words!  And that is a great article and I will be texting that link to all my CC friends - thank you!   Also, I do remember you telling me a while back to look into a different holster Q, and I will research it now that I'm actually able to carry openly and use my holster in the first place (up until January 1st it was just a great "gun holder" for my Beretta inside my carry bag).  More good encounters today, by the way.  Seems that people here appreciate it, and also act very nicely to me.  I'm being very nice in return, trying to be the good example MOC has taught is one of the good reasons to OC.  Today when I was going into a store I saw police and said to myself... here goes, I just have to do it anyways.  The officer saw me walking up to the store, and he left.  Maybe I won't get hassled here by police as much as I thought I would.  Though I have tried to memorize the court decisions as they apply to OC, reasonable suspicion, demanding ID, etc, so as to best counter a potential police stop.  And by the way, that article also reminded me of another great reason to OC:  safety.  I had forgot to mention that in my original post here, but truth is I've never felt too comfortable with my LCP in my pocket holster, loaded and ready with no safety.  My retention holster protects the trigger when I OC, not to mention there's a safety on the Beretta too.  Thanks again guys!  I look forward to any further advice from you all, and look forward to OCing with MOC in the near future!  I think I need to try and write and print up some Open Carry cards similar to the ones you use at MOC.  A great way to help spread the word and offer some education to those asking me questions.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
... I think I need to try and write and print up some Open Carry cards similar to the ones you use at MOC.  A great way to help spread the word and offer some education to those asking me questions.

A guy on OCDO made a tri-fold that looks pretty good - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?131814-Texas-Open-Carry-Info-Trifold-Brochure

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 04:17:21 AM »
People in Texas may be less apt to LEO trouble than ppl in MI were because there was a lot of media around legalization.

...as opposed to MI where ppl just started doing it and it was never illegal.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
Less LEO problems?  I'm not sure about that.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »
I agree with Q that OCers in Texas should face less trouble than OC's modern pioneers in MI faced.
But until everybody gets used to it, more problems than we face in Michigan today seem likely.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 09:42:18 PM »
The TX OC experiences thread on OCDO is 300+ posts of non-events so far.  Much like my OC experiences in MI since 2011 (I got stopped a handful of times in 2010, so ignoring that first year).

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »
""Today I OC'd in 7-11 and later in an In-N-Out Burger.  That was cool because that's a California restaurant and they are pro-OC.  Yet Whataburger, the famous local Texas burger joint has come out against OC.  Guess what?  I think I'll keep my business at places that allow me to OC.  Sorry Whataburger."" Copied from OP..

Make sure you tell em so...that you go with those that go with you/us..

Offline G36shooter

• MOC Member
  • MOC Member,SE Regonal Coorrdinator
  • First Name (Displayed): Greg
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 11:06:53 AM »
Texas, great to read about your  OC  experience, we  at MOC,Inc support  you. When you get to MI look us up, join us at an event.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »
Just a quick reminder - just as MI has police departments that are hostile to legal open carriers (Warren, Detroit, Taylor etc..), Texas does to, sadly. If you do go to Texas, try to research the area PDs that you will be visiting. Olmos Park is a small enclave city in the N. of San Antonio, TX. they are totally anti OC and make no apologies for it in their actions.

In April of this year (2018) I was part of protest march with hundreds of other from across Texas and the nation.

So yes, OC is legal in Texas and you should be able to do so unmolested in the vast majority of towns there. This said, always do your homework about the jurisdiction and their history of treatment of legal OCers.

Carry on :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:24:31 AM by gryphon »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993