Author Topic: rights restored after 2 felonies  (Read 4225 times)

rights restored after 2 felonies
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
I had my firearms rights restored in may 2015 by the washtenaw county gun board, after that i received a letter from lancing that told me i could only use black powder weapons because im still federally banned so i called the michigan state police and they told me that im legal with the state  to own a firearm but not federal so i could be charged in federal court for felon in possession. My question is once i do finally buy a pistol can i get a cpl?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: rights restored after 2 felonies
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:27:41 AM »
That is a very interesting question.

See MCL 28.425b for this list of disqualifiers. http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425b

Nothing stuck out to me after a quick read.

I would also suggest asking your question over here: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?180-Legal-Beagle-Corner
That forum is much more frequented by knowledgeable firearm attorneys.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »
Do you have the "right" to vote restored? If not, you are still a federally prohibited person.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
I don't understand.  Are you a felon? If so, you should be prohibited both federally and in Michigan.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:13:46 PM »

I don't understand.  Are you a felon? If so, you should be prohibited both federally and in Michigan.

Federal law doesn't restore your rights unless the state that convicted you pardons you or otherwise restores all rights. IIRC, Michigan doesn't restore the right to vote.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »
He may get his Michigan rights restored and be able to possess firearms and even get a CPL, BUT the feds do not recognize it UNLESS all rights are restored.  Last I heard Michigan does not restore voting rights, if true, than the Feds can nab you under federal law.  It's a risk you have to decide to take.  I don't hear a lot of federal cases on this in Michigan.  I suspect if you were outside Michigan and you were confronted you might get the federal charge.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.