Author Topic: Michigan Presidential Primary decision tree by host of Free Talk Live  (Read 10054 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
It makes for decent humor, if it wasn't so sad.

Phil: With Rand out and Michigan primary approaching next Tuesday, is there an even half-way liberty candidate left on the primary ballot?

I'm contemplating jumping ticket and voting Dem/Bernie, following Mark's reasoning.

In any case, LP has my vote come November.

Mark Edge: Vote Hillary if you think it is time for a woman.
Vote Cruz if you are scared of Trump and don't mind Jesus.
Vote Rubio if you are scared of Trump and Jesus.
Vote Trump if you want to disrupt the Republicans.
Vote Bernie if you want to see nothing get done.
Basically you are f*cked.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Michigan Presidential Primary decision tree by host of Free Talk Live
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:02:07 PM »
I think vote Trump if you want to see nothing get done. He's the only candidate that the entire political establishment hates.

I'd love to see Congress get serious about reigning in executive powers. Maybe the Donald can provide the incentive?

With Bernie in office, government spending and power will increase, you're only kidding yourself if you think there isn't adequate support for that in Congress right now.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »
A Republican Congress will kiss A Republican president's ass. It doesn't matter if the president is a RINO.

A Republican Congress will obstruct a Democrat no matter if that Democrat is more Republican than other Republicans.

Politics 101.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »
See GWB for an example.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:02:48 PM »
who is Ross Perot?

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
I just put this up over at MGO and I'm putting it here.  I'm generally a pretty calm guy don't get too upset or surprised by what happens with politicians but I've been pretty unhappy with all of this "establishment" trashing of Trump and then Romney came out and really pissed me off.   

Quoting myself:
I had been planning to vote for Bernie in the primary.  Now that Romney came out and trashed Trump I'm voting for the Donald.  For the last 3 years of Obama, Romney has kept his mouth shut and out of sight.  The first time he comes out of hiding he does it to assassinate the Republican front runner?  And he pushes beyond the assassination when he says he will write in someone in November instead of casting a vote for Trump.  Burning down the Republican House will guarantee a Dem victory in November.  When will the Repubs learn?  The Dems just sit back and watch the show.  Sigh.

Napoleon: "Never interfere with your enemy when he's in the process of destroying himself"

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »
If a majority of Republican voters were voting for Trump, that would be one thing but that isn't the case. Thus far, a majority of the Republican party has said they want someone other than Trump. Not just "establishment" types either.

Trump frequently receives significantly less than half the vote and his delegate count shows it. Further, many of the states that have voted so far have open primaries. I don't believe record Republican turnout and dismal Democrat turnout is entirely honest.

I despise Trump and based on the original post, Phil does too. I don't think either of us could ever be called establishment.

Vote the way you want and I won't hold that against you, but PLEASE vote based on what YOU want and not what someone else you dislike doesn't want. We know Trump is a master of media and, despite some of the media's claims, Trump has received a number of "establishment" endorsements.

A lot of Trump's backers are anti-establishment. What sense does it make sending the quintessential establishment guy out to denounce Trump? Tell me which side it is more likely to rile up.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
Arrow impossibility theorem suggest that given three choices, the least favorite wins.

Trump voters are mutually exclusive to Cruz and Rubio (combined).  Cruz and Rubio share some voters.  If rubio drops out, I'd bet the most of his voters would go to Cruz, which would end Trumps plurality.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
I disagree that Trump's voters are mutually exclusive with Cruz an Rubio. Some may be, but I would venture a guess that most are not.

I do agree Rubio getting out significantly decreases Trump's odds and most of the voters would go to Cruz.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 02:44:06 PM »
If a majority of Republican voters were voting for Trump, that would be one thing but that isn't the case. Thus far, a majority of the Republican party has said they want someone other than Trump. Not just "establishment" types either.

Trump frequently receives significantly less than half the vote and his delegate count shows it. Further, many of the states that have voted so far have open primaries. I don't believe record Republican turnout and dismal Democrat turnout is entirely honest.

I despise Trump and based on the original post, Phil does too. I don't think either of us could ever be called establishment.

Vote the way you want and I won't hold that against you, but PLEASE vote based on what YOU want and not what someone else you dislike doesn't want. We know Trump is a master of media and, despite some of the media's claims, Trump has received a number of "establishment" endorsements.

A lot of Trump's backers are anti-establishment. What sense does it make sending the quintessential establishment guy out to denounce Trump? Tell me which side it is more likely to rile up.

You say the majority don't want Trump but over 80% don't want any of the others.

So by your standards, we should assume the people don't want a Republican as President?

What does the fact that more voters want Trump then want anybody else say to you?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 11:48:34 PM »
On March 6th the NBC poll showed Hillary with a 17 point lead over Bernie.  Looks like he closed the gap.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-hold-big-leads-michigan-poll-n532576

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 08:24:32 AM »
You say the majority don't want Trump but over 80% don't want any of the others.

So by your standards, we should assume the people don't want a Republican as President?

What does the fact that more voters want Trump then want anybody else say to you?

It's a fair point, but one I think is flawed and I disagree with.

Yes, more people have voted for Trump in the Republican primary than any other single candidate, a significant fact that can't simply be written off. He is the front runner, no question about it.

But that does not inherently mean he is the preferred choice. The only way we can really find out who is, is to winnow the field down to two candidates.

I live in Kentwood, where just over the past few years we've seen multiple primary elections result in the top candidate getting between 45 and 49% of the vote. However, since they did not crest the 50% mark, a runoff had to occur. In both of the of the last two elections, the candidate who won the primary did not win the general.

The important question is - if Cruz, Kasich or Rubio were to drop out, to whom would their voters turn to? I believe the vast majority for all of those candidates would not turn to Trump.

Trump "won" Michigan with 36.5% of the vote. That means almost twice as many people didn't vote for him than voted for him. That is in no way a mandate.

Also consider the fact that many people voted for Trump who have zero intention of voting for him in the general.

If Trump gets to the convention above the threshold of delegates to win, then he should win. I'm not so sure that is going to happen.