General Category > Off Topic Stuff

Michigan Presidential Primary decision tree by host of Free Talk Live

<< < (3/3)

LD:

--- Quote from: bigt8261 on March 07, 2016, 10:25:54 AM ---If a majority of Republican voters were voting for Trump, that would be one thing but that isn't the case. Thus far, a majority of the Republican party has said they want someone other than Trump. Not just "establishment" types either.

Trump frequently receives significantly less than half the vote and his delegate count shows it. Further, many of the states that have voted so far have open primaries. I don't believe record Republican turnout and dismal Democrat turnout is entirely honest.

I despise Trump and based on the original post, Phil does too. I don't think either of us could ever be called establishment.

Vote the way you want and I won't hold that against you, but PLEASE vote based on what YOU want and not what someone else you dislike doesn't want. We know Trump is a master of media and, despite some of the media's claims, Trump has received a number of "establishment" endorsements.

A lot of Trump's backers are anti-establishment. What sense does it make sending the quintessential establishment guy out to denounce Trump? Tell me which side it is more likely to rile up.

--- End quote ---

You say the majority don't want Trump but over 80% don't want any of the others.

So by your standards, we should assume the people don't want a Republican as President?

What does the fact that more voters want Trump then want anybody else say to you?

Pond Scum:
On March 6th the NBC poll showed Hillary with a 17 point lead over Bernie.  Looks like he closed the gap.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-hold-big-leads-michigan-poll-n532576

bigt8261:

--- Quote from: LD on March 08, 2016, 02:44:06 PM ---You say the majority don't want Trump but over 80% don't want any of the others.

So by your standards, we should assume the people don't want a Republican as President?

What does the fact that more voters want Trump then want anybody else say to you?

--- End quote ---

It's a fair point, but one I think is flawed and I disagree with.

Yes, more people have voted for Trump in the Republican primary than any other single candidate, a significant fact that can't simply be written off. He is the front runner, no question about it.

But that does not inherently mean he is the preferred choice. The only way we can really find out who is, is to winnow the field down to two candidates.

I live in Kentwood, where just over the past few years we've seen multiple primary elections result in the top candidate getting between 45 and 49% of the vote. However, since they did not crest the 50% mark, a runoff had to occur. In both of the of the last two elections, the candidate who won the primary did not win the general.

The important question is - if Cruz, Kasich or Rubio were to drop out, to whom would their voters turn to? I believe the vast majority for all of those candidates would not turn to Trump.

Trump "won" Michigan with 36.5% of the vote. That means almost twice as many people didn't vote for him than voted for him. That is in no way a mandate.

Also consider the fact that many people voted for Trump who have zero intention of voting for him in the general.

If Trump gets to the convention above the threshold of delegates to win, then he should win. I'm not so sure that is going to happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version