Author Topic: Flawed logic by researcher/professor  (Read 4031 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Flawed logic by researcher/professor
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
Stumbled upon this nugget reading about Seattle's Gun Tax.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattles-gun-tax-still-faces-unfriendly-fire/
Dr. Ali Rowhani-Rahbar, researcher and professor at the University of Washington School of Public Health, is spearheading the study aimed at trying to reduce gun violence by diminishing the number of repeat gunshot victims.

An April 2015 study by Rowhani-Rahbar and others found that gunshot victims who survive an initial gunshot wound are 21 times more likely to get shot again and five times more likely to die than those wounded by a weapon other than a gun or who were hurt in other kinds of accidents.

Umm... Wow...

cau·sal·i·ty
kôˈzalədē/
noun
noun: causality

1.    the relationship between cause and effect.
    2.    the principle that everything has a cause.

The previous gunshot is not the cause of the subsequent gunshot.  My hypothesis is: the engagement in certain activities makes one more likely to become the recipient of a gunshot wound.  Continuing to engage in those activities makes one 21 times more likely to receive a second gunshot wound.

Without correlation between the original circumstance and the second instance, we have junk science.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
Re: Flawed logic by researcher/professor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:01:14 AM »

The previous gunshot is not the cause of the subsequent gunshot.  My hypothesis is: the engagement in certain activities makes one more likely to become the recipient of a gunshot wound.  Continuing to engage in those activities makes one 21 times more likely to receive a second gunshot wound.

Without correlation between the original circumstance and the second instance, we have junk science.

My momma told me not to hang out with bad people or in bad places.  Don't need science or public grants.... just common sense and wisdom. 

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
My momma told me not to hang out with bad people or in bad places.  Don't need science or public grants.... just common sense and wisdom.
Can't justify Govt Grant Money using common sense and wisdom...

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
Can't justify Govt Grant Money using common sense and wisdom...

Oh yeah.  I guess I wasn't using my head on that one.  Sigh.