Author Topic: Detroit puppycide suit  (Read 10619 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Detroit puppycide suit
« on: May 27, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »
Did the Detroit papers cover this, or was it only the NY Daily News?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/detroit-officers-kill-dogs-warning-graphic-photo-article-1.2651260

After officers entered the home, one of the dogs was able to get out of the basement, and harmlessly sat next to Smith. As Smith reached for the dog, officers shot the animal "multiple times," the lawsuit charges. Smith watched from less than 10 feet away as the dog, named Debo, died on the floor.

Three officers then went to the basement and fatally shot a dog named Mama, who was pregnant. Mama was quiet and not attacking the cops at the time, according to the lawsuit.

Then after an officer opened the bathroom door, he asked, "should we do that one too?"
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Detroit puppycide suit
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
Wow.

Offline Redwingsrule6971

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Laurie
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »
Wow, that's just disgusting.

What else do those officers do that they think they can get away with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of a man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »
What else do those officers do that they think they can get away with?

There are lots of stories worse than this.  While I can cite voluminous instances of gentle dogs getting shot (including Labrador and Golden Retrievers) link, there are those where cops have tried to put people in prison by fabricating evidence and perjuring themselves to cover up their own illegal actions link.

Unfortunately this isn't limited to our local law enforcement and sheriff's deputes, but by the ATF, DEA, and FBI as well.  In one case, the federal judge apologized at trial to the victim on behalf of the federal government for his abuse at the hands of lying feds.  Of course, nothing was done to the feds.

Offline Redwingsrule6971

• MOC Member
Detroit puppycide suit
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
There are lots of stories worse than this.  While I can cite voluminous instances of gentle dogs getting shot (including Labrador and Golden Retrievers) link, there are those where cops have tried to put people in prison by fabricating evidence and perjuring themselves to cover up their own illegal actions link.

Unfortunately this isn't limited to our local law enforcement and sheriff's deputes, but by the ATF, DEA, and FBI as well.  In one case, the federal judge apologized at trial to the victim on behalf of the federal government for his abuse at the hands of lying feds.  Of course, nothing was done to the feds.

I've read several, but I don't think any quite as disgusting as this dealing with dogs.

The first link isn't working for me.

The second link is exactly what I'm talking about. If they're willing to do this...they're willing to do anything.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:37:10 AM by Redwingsrule6971 »
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of a man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." - Susan B. Anthony

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
Hey Laurie, do you like Tom Selleck?
He once made a movie about two cops who mistakenly shoot a homeowner in a wrong address raid, then fabricate and perjure like crazy to avoid admitting their errors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097579/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Here in Mid-Michigan, we have Claude McCollum, who was sleeping in one building on LCC's campus while a prof was beaten to death in another building.

IIRC, a MSP Sgt analyzed the surveillance video and produced a timeline which proved him innocent. Then the homicide investigators told him his analysis was wrong, fix it, so he falsified his analysis, and testified in court against the innocent student.
http://4n6.com/mccollum-suit-seeks-damages-50-pages-detail-allegations-against-lcc-city-prosecutors/
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »
The police falsified evidence and hid evidence from the defendant's attorney, the guy was falsely convicted, spent 1.5 years in jail, and his attorney only sued for $25K?

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
Hugh Clarke asked for damages "in excess of $25k", that's a tier identifier, not a number.
They settled for an even $2 mil.
And as usual, no government employees were harmed in the making of this settlement.
https://michiganlawyerblog.wordpress.com/tag/claude-mccollum/

Offline Redwingsrule6971

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 01:38:51 AM »
Hey Laurie, do you like Tom Selleck?
He once made a movie about two cops who mistakenly shoot a homeowner in a wrong address raid, then fabricate and perjure like crazy to avoid admitting their errors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097579/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Here in Mid-Michigan, we have Claude McCollum, who was sleeping in one building on LCC's campus while a prof was beaten to death in another building.

IIRC, a MSP Sgt analyzed the surveillance video and produced a timeline which proved him innocent. Then the homicide investigators told him his analysis was wrong, fix it, so he falsified his analysis, and testified in court against the innocent student.
http://4n6.com/mccollum-suit-seeks-damages-50-pages-detail-allegations-against-lcc-city-prosecutors/

I'm not arguing the fact or naive that these types of things of don't happen...I realize they do, and unfortunately a lot more than what we even know.  Cities and states would rather put someone in jail to cover for mistakes and possibilities of lawsuits than admit errors. The prosecutors would rather have a win in their books.

I'm a huge supporter of our men and women in blue and respect what they do.  Thankfully, the bad ones are few and far between. 

The blatancy of the cops shooting through the bathroom door is what got me... They couldn't even say they thought he was going to attack and they didn't care. They just wanted to kill something.

I'm going to have to watch the movie... It sounds good!

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 06:58:13 AM »
I'm not arguing the fact or naive that these types of things of don't happen...

Didn't mean to imply that you were.

Offline Redwingsrule6971

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 10:56:35 PM »
Didn't mean to imply that you were.

I know my original comment may have sounded like I was incredulous that an officer would do something like that. I could have been more clear.

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 07:44:04 PM »
I'm a huge supporter of our men and women in blue and respect what they do.  Thankfully, the bad ones are few and far between. 

It's becoming increasingly difficult to support the 95% that don't do anything about the 5% bad ones.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »
It's becoming increasingly difficult to support the 95% that don't do anything about the 5% bad ones.

This is what Mark Edge of Free Talk Live says. If the 95% are good, why don't they arrest the 5% that abuse their power and/or break the law.

It's a matter of cognitive dissonance -- the reason is the 95% aren't as good as we'd like to think they are...but people are hesitant to let go of that cognition.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »
This is what Mark Edge of Free Talk Live says. If the 95% are good, why don't they arrest the 5% that abuse their power and/or break the law.

It's a matter of cognitive dissonance -- the reason is the 95% aren't as good as we'd like to think they are...but people are hesitant to let go of that cognition.

In my experience, the 95%, no matter how strongly they disapprove of the violent crimes committed by the 5%, will perjure up felony charges against the victims to protect the image of law enforcement.

However, that's not always true, look at what happened to this perv.
The victim got arrested in another jurisdiction on unrelated charges, said the business card in her purse belonged to the cop who molested her, and they went after him.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/06/award-winning-arizona-cop-arrested-fondling-womans-breasts-exchange-not-citing/

Jay Wu, who had been with the department for ten years, believed he was doing the woman a favor for not citing her on shoplifting charges on March 29 after she told him she was in a desperate financial situation.

All he wanted was a quick feel on her breasts and buttocks for being such a nice guy. He even gave her his business card along with the c-note, telling her she was free to call him anytime.

But the 43-year-old woman ended up telling other officers from the same department what he did to her, sparking an investigation that led to his arrest and resignation two months later.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:11:13 AM by CitizensHaveRights »