Author Topic: Rural open carry negated by liquor licensed locations  (Read 8060 times)

Offline krial

Rural open carry negated by liquor licensed locations
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »
Having to unload and box the pistol at both ends of the 5 mile drive into town sucks, but the part where you can't open carry anywhere with a liquor license is the big deal breaker that pretty much prohibits me from ever carrying. That eliminates the only grocery store, kmart, both drug stores, nearly every restaurant, and every single gas station around -- even the Dollar General apparently has a liquor license here. What does that leave? I can pick up something at the hardware store, the sport shop, then stop at one of the couple fast food joints? Just about everything else is off limits.

I'm just poor enough that the cost to get a CPL is enough of a hindrance to be pushed back every month in favor of something frivolous like food or electricity. Alright, more realistically it means I can get the CPL, but then I wouldn't have any ammo to shoot for a while because I spent that $200 on the CPL instead of 1000 rounds of ammo.

I kind of want to break down and get the CPL even if it means openly carrying around an empty gun everywhere -- though mostly to argue with everyone about how stupid it is to be forced to pay to get a CPL in order to open carry in enough places to be relevant for everyday life.

Sorry, this is just really frustrating.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:00:37 AM by krial »

Offline smallthunder

Re: Rural open carry negated by liquor licensed locations
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:21:22 AM »
I agree that the right to keep and bear arms as long as you have enough money to purchase all the permits and go through all of the Hoops that they require you to is bologna. It just goes to show yet again you have all the rights in the country as long as you have enough money. It wasn't meant to be that way and it shouldn't be that way now.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:40:29 PM »
I agree, too.  Michigan's gun laws leave a lot to be desired.

Offline krial

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:33:58 AM »
...the right of the people to purchase the ability to keep and bear certain approved Arms in a limited fashion, shall not be infringed on days not ending in Y.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
...the right of the people to purchase the ability to keep and bear certain approved Arms in a limited fashion, shall not be infringed on days not ending in Y.

krial, I like how you worded this.  I hope you don't mind if I paraphrase your words.  It points our how simple our Founding Fathers made the second amendment and then politicians screwed it up.   :(

Regarding your plight carrying your gun I understand your frustration.  Going OC without a CPL is a morass of laws and regulations.  Its like walking thru a mine field blindfolded.  I tell my friends that going OC without a CPL is risky business and should only be done on a limited basis.   I hope you can find a way to save enough for your CPL and then you can go to town and CC or OC with fewer restrictions. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:53:46 AM by Pond Scum »

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
There is a piece in some upcoming legislation, that MOC was able to get added, that would narrow the licensed item in 234d to be closer the primary source one in 425o. It would open up stores and gas stations where nothing is consumed.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »
......Alright, more realistically it means I can get the CPL, but then I wouldn't have any ammo to shoot for a while because I spent that $200 on the CPL instead of 1000 rounds of ammo.

The training done with that ammo will be useless if you don't have your gun with you because you don't have a CPL so it seems like a no brainer to me to get the CPL.

There is a piece in some upcoming legislation, that MOC was able to get added, that would narrow the licensed item in 234d to be closer the primary source one in 425o. It would open up stores and gas stations where nothing is consumed.

Nice, let's hope it passes.  I hated waiting for my CPL.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:37:01 AM »
Keep in mind, it's still legal with permission.

The law doesn't say explicit permission.

Of course, if you are ever asked to leave, then it would become a 234d violation.

Take your chances as you see fit.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »

I always thought a public statement from a responsible executive of the owning corporation that 'we don't regulate firearms, we leave it up to state laws' qualified as global permission for everybody, but it was suggested to me not to try it without personal written authorization.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline casper

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
I always thought a public statement from a responsible executive of the owning corporation that 'we don't regulate firearms, we leave it up to state laws' qualified as global permission for everybody, but it was suggested to me not to try it without personal written authorization.
"State law" requires permission. It's best to have it in writing, but not required.

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »
Keep in mind, it's still legal with permission.

Of course, if you are ever asked to leave, then it would become a 234d violation.

Take your chances as you see fit.

So to be advised to 'get out' or be charged w/ trespass who has to inform you:

The owner

the weekend highj school clerk???  Just who? Fellow Customer??

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »
The owner or his agent. I'd consider a rank and file employee an agent.

Don't like what an employee says? Call and speak to the manager after you leave.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).