Author Topic: Berrien County Courthouse Shootings  (Read 6574 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Berrien County Courthouse Shootings
« on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
A prisoner took a handgun from a deputy, killed two bailiffs, wounded a deputy (the gun donor?), and was shot dead by other LEOs.
Several non-LEOs were transported to the hospital, but the Freep doesn't bother to tell us how they got injured.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/07/11/berrien-courthouse-shooting-what-we-know-now/86956922/
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Berrien County Courthouse Shootings
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:22:07 PM »
How did he get the gun? Deputy must not have been wearing a good holster.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:59:21 PM »
Some more details have come out.
Cuffed in front, shot and wounded his transport deputy after taking his sidearm.
Shot and killed two bailiffs.
Other bailiffs came running and won the resulting shootout.
A female bystander was shot. Since she was shot with a duty gun, and the perp had a duty gun, people seem to be assuming he shot her but I don't think anything concrete has been said about who fired that shot.

MadFrothingAtTheMouthMommy Shannon Watts blames the NRA for the ready availability of handguns hanging from duty belts. No, seriously, she really did. Don't you just love it when the other side goes out of their way to discredit themselves?
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/07/daniel-zimmerman/shannon-watts-nra-blame-michigan-prisoner-gun-grab/
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:57:28 PM »
So she wants to disarm law enforcement?

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:27:32 AM »
Now she's trying to claim that she meant it's the NRA's fault that the cops don't have 'smart guns'.

I thought it was every police union in the country that refuses to accept smart guns as duty weapons.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »
Now she's trying to claim that she meant it's the NRA's fault that the cops don't have 'smart guns'.

I thought it was every police union in the country that refuses to accept smart guns as duty weapons.

I don't agree that it is the NRA's fault that they don't have "smart guns" but I think ALL government employees that handle a firearm should be REQUIRED to ONLY have access to "Smart Guns".
That means ALL guns that ANY of them have access to.

That will prove to the general public how effective & safe they are and pave the way to universal usage.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 01:42:10 AM »
I don't agree that it is the NRA's fault that they don't have "smart guns" but I think ALL government employees that handle a firearm should be REQUIRED to ONLY have access to "Smart Guns".
That means ALL guns that ANY of them have access to.

That will prove to the general public how effective & safe they are and pave the way to universal usage.

I'm an IT geek for the SoM gang. Guess I need to turn in my personal handguns for smart guns?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:11:16 AM »

I'm an IT geek for the SoM gang. Guess I need to turn in my personal handguns for smart guns?

Absolutely... Do your part to protect America and show how safe "Smart Guns" are.

Offline G36shooter

• MOC Member
  • MOC Member,SE Regonal Coorrdinator
  • First Name (Displayed): Greg
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
LD, with all do respect can you document what LE agency supports "smart gun technology"?

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »
LD, with all do respect can you document what LE agency supports "smart gun technology"?

For themselves?  Certainly not but for "civilians"?

I'm sure many departments could be found.