Author Topic: Kalamazoo-LEO experience.  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Lonewolf0714

Kalamazoo-LEO experience.
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
At 7:00pm me and my brother were at Spring Valley Park in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Two officers pulled up in lockdown mode and approached my vehicle. Myself, I had a fishing pole in my hand. My brother, he was still in the vehicle because we had just pulled up. The officer says to me, "We got a complaint about a MWAG. I laugh and say "Ya, I am Open Carrying".
 I be polite and show my ID and CPL. He laughs and says "OK then" have a good day. Meanwhile, the other officer walks to the other side of my vehicle and confronts my brother. He asks my brother to step outside and opens my vehicle door for my brother. he then starts the "show me your ID routine" and with my brother being here from out of state, he then started questioning him why he is here in Michigan.

Needless to say, he did run my brothers ID. Im sure the people on this site know more than me about Law that me, but what crime did he commit to cause all these questions to be thrown at my brother. The sad part is after the officer that I gave my CPL and ID too looked at it, he said to his partner, "Hey, were good to go here" but the other officer insisted in giving my brother the run down. WOW, that is the first time I felt harrased by a uniformed officer. I think we should do a litter pick up at Spring Valley Park and then go to Scooter D's for lunch, any takers.

Thread title changed,spaced out text for ease of reading-MOC Forum Moderators!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:38:16 AM by lil_freak_66 »

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: What The....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
What is lockdown mode?

And what department Kalamazoo DPS?
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
Lockdown mode is when they surround your vehicle from all exit points. They were Kalamazoo Township Police. I know they have a right to investigate a MWAG call. I wonder if it is legal to open my vehicle door and make my brother exit the vehicle when no crime has been commited? We were not stopped driving. Thats twice in 1 week I have had a run inn with Law Enforcement.

Offline acltear

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 10:34:07 PM »
I am pretty cool with the police, but if I were in the car and they did that to me I think a little conversation would have taken place.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »
what was your brother doing or how did he look that would have appeared to be suspicious? appearance, facial expressions or demeanor can trigger suspicion. if you say nothing i'll believe you but was LEO and that suspicion has saved my life before.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:58:26 AM »
Im really cool with the police also. I am currently scheduled to start school full time for LE. I already have DHS security clearance. My brothers appearance was as follows, blue jeans, grey muscle shirt, his damenour was calm. He has tattoos on his shoulders. I wonder if they stereotyped him. I made the comment to the officer "I dont appreciate my brother being harassed". His response was "Im doing my job". He seemed pissed that I said something. I hope I wasnt in the wrong but it was pretty rude that he opened my vehicle door and gave my brother the complete rundown. I live in the township so when I start my ride along program with the KTP, I can preach/educate the officers about the open carry laws. I will have to handout the informational pamplets I get from this site.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »
It would of been educational to hear your encounter on a voice recorder.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »
Lockdown mode is when they surround your vehicle from all exit points. They were Kalamazoo Township Police. I know they have a right to investigate a MWAG call. I wonder if it is legal to open my vehicle door and make my brother exit the vehicle when no crime has been commited? We were not stopped driving. Thats twice in 1 week I have had a run inn with Law Enforcement.

If I were you of his Brother I would have started to feed the party line when they started asking for IDs.

Are we being detained? are we free to go? If we're being detained, under suspect of what crime are we being detained?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).