Author Topic: Meekof says the time is not right for constitutional carry  (Read 4750 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Meekof says the time is not right for constitutional carry
« on: September 07, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/timing_isnt_right_for_permitle.html

LANSING, MI - A package of bills that would allow Michiganders to carry concealed weapons without a permit passed the House of Representatives in June, but Senate Majority Leader Arlan Meekhof, R-West Olive, says the timing isn't right to run it in the Senate...

Meekhof, who often carries a concealed gun himself, said he hasn't spoken with the governor about the bills, but "I'm sensing his reluctance to do anything with firearms." 

Mitch, who often carries both  openly and concealed, says
: "I haven't talked to Senator Meekhof, but I'm sensing that he cares a lot more about the Governor's political comfort than he cares about the civil rights and safety of ten million Michigan residents." 
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

Re: Meekof says the time is not right for constitutional carry
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
Snyder will veto it now, and for the rest of the 2017-2018 legislative session. How is it worse to pass it now and have it veto'd now than to pass it next year and have it veto'd next year?

If we bring it to a vote while there's still time to override a veto, it won't be automatically dead (but override is unlikely).
If we pass it in December 2018 and Snyder vetos it over Christmas break, like he did to us in 2012, there won't be any opportunity for a override vote.

Look, we all know it won't become law as long as the 'Ann Arbor Republican' sits in the Governor's chair.
But if we actually vote on it, we'll know which legislators to keep and which ones to toss out in the next primary. (and that's what Meekhof doesn't want us to know, because keeping Republicans in office is his primary goal)

The only possible advantage I see to waiting until later in the 2017-2018 session is if the governor dies and Calley takes office before the session is over.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Re: Meekof says the time is not right for constitutional carry
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
OK, maybe there is an advantage to waiting on Constitutional Carry.

If Sen Meekhof wants to pass Concealed Carry in PFZs first, then work on Constitutional Carry, I'll accept the notion that
1. He's on our side, not the Governor's side.
2. He knows what he's doing.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/24/concealed-carry-gun-debate-michigan-legislature/686680001/

Senate Majority Leader Arlan Meekhof, R-West Olive, wants to have a “fruitful discussion” about gun rights in Michigan, said his spokeswoman, Amber McCann. Although his bill wouldn’t prohibit open-carry of guns in schools and other places, allowing concealed-carry could be less disruptive.