Author Topic: east lansing open carry event at kroger  (Read 5197 times)

Offline pinecone

• First Name (Displayed): pine tree
east lansing open carry event at kroger
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:50:41 PM »
i decided to start this because i randomly got this idea. i contacted east Lansing police on face book and told them there was a open carry shopping sessions by groups and individuals. and that they will be open carrying this week Monday through Friday between 11 am and 6pm and have permission from the store to do so.. just to give them a heads op just in case they get calls from confused people who don't know the law. kroger allows open carry, so if you dont have a cpl, your safe to open carry there.

east lansing police told me they have no problems with this and thanked me for giving them a heads up. so they are ready for any call that comes in during those times.

ill be open carrying there at those times and i encourage you all to do the same.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: east lansing open carry event at kroger
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
OC in Kroger without CPL is not legal unless you have permission from the particular store you are carrying in.  One manager can't give a blanket permission for all stores.  In general Kroger allows lawful OC (and CC), and I've never heard any store owner or manager giving blanket permission for unlicensed carry to everyone.

So what is this "open carry shopping sessions by groups and individuals" this week?

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
So if a manager gives 'permission' then the need for a CPL goes away?? What about the liquor license
requiring a CPL? Ill be watching the answer closely..

PS:: I just read above/below and learned something this year..

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »
MCL 750.234d states:
(1) a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

and then it immediately states:

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-234d