Author Topic: i'm just a newbie so i have a few questions  (Read 3327 times)

Offline .50cali

i'm just a newbie so i have a few questions
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
i'm new to OC and was wondering about a few points first is there a limit on the caliber you can OC? and second if OCing is legal then why do i see posts about people being confronted by LEO's and asking if they have a CPL?  I guess my question about that is do you need a CPL to OC?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: i'm just a newbie so i have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:56:47 AM »
First, let me say welcome.

Secondly, I'd suggest you review the information posted here and the LEO Packet is a good read for everyone.  Also be sure to read the comprehensive overview of Michigan Gun Laws and Attorney General Opinions.  It's quite the bed time story.  It's not required reading, but it is highly helpful.

About LEOs, many LEOs are not -- up to par -- on current Michigan gun laws/AG Opinions.  Some are up to par and have a personal or political problem with open carry that they feel the need to express.  However, they may not be aware that by doing so, they are opening their communities to unlawful detention liabilities.  If they are aware of the liability that they are opening their community to -- well, that's why we have Police Chiefs and Sheriffs....

I hope these references have you on your merry way.  Happy reading.  ;D
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: i'm just a newbie so i have a few questions
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:57 AM »
NO there is not a caliber limit.. And TheQ said it as well as I could on the rest ;D

You have some reading to do!

And Welcome!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."