Author Topic: Finally did my CPL class  (Read 14103 times)

Offline bignaz

Finally did my CPL class
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
Years after putting it off I finally went and did it. Dropped everything off today so now I get to play the wait game for Wayne county to send it out.  Never really had free time to take the class  but it's scary at who is getting CPL's. Most were just getting started into shooting and to be honest 7 yards is really hitting the limit for them. And some I would of not let them pass. They need way more time on the range. Trigger finger discipline, shot placement. They can hit a huge target at 7 yards but under stress I don't think they would be able to hit anything.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Finally did my CPL class
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:35:21 AM »
If that bothers you, what about LEOSA, which says all NYPD officers can carry concealed weapons in Michigan?
We all know what they, as a group, can and can't hit at 7 yards.

Or worse yet, the Torrance PD officers who shot up that Toyota driven by the two LA Times delivery ladies...

Fortunately, Michigan's 500,000 CPL holders have a much better collective track record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
Congratulations Bignaz!    I'm haven't been by here for a while and I'm catching up on the new posts...... I'm glad you found time and and a class to get your CPL.   :D

Offline bignaz

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:39:22 AM »
Yeah figured it was time. Got my finger prints and all that day after MLK day. So hoping the permit comes soon.

Offline bignaz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:50:56 PM »
Just got it in the mail today. submitted everything on the day after MlK day. And it's looks just as booty as the blue ones. Only white. And looks like it sat in the sun for 57 years. Good job Michigan.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
That seems like a pretty quick turn around.
When mine was issued in Eaton County, they did them once a month and if you didn't have your application in a couple weeks before their monthly meeting it got put off until next month.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline bignaz

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Yeah the turn around was not to bad. I just wish they would just put CPL on our driver's license. So it's one less thing to fill my wallet...And it did not look so booty. 

Offline michaelm_ski

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 10:45:39 PM »
I have had two or three cpl's from Macomb county when I lived in Saint Clair Shores and worked in Detroit that has been about 29 years ago , well I live in a nice quiet county in the country and never thought I would get or need another cpl but lately things have been getting crazy with armed robberies and not to mention I still come down to the big D so I talked with the wife and I told her I was going to do it for her and the three kids and so I have it again . It took 19 days for my license to come in after I turned my prints in to Clare county I was amazed at the speed and very happy I recommend everyone that is able to get a license to please take a good course and protect yourself as the police can not be there when you need them they usually are there after the event takes place and it may be 10 or more minutes . Congrats Naz .
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:50:06 AM by michaelm_ski »

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
michaelk_ski,

Glad you got your CPL after a long hiatus!   If your wife doesn't have a CPL I encourage her to get one.  My wife got her CPL at the same time I did.  She doesn't carry but it keeps her legal if she stays in the car when I leave a gun in the car with her.

Offline michaelm_ski

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 04:51:05 AM »
I am working on her trying to convince her of her capabilities it took 19 days from when I turned my prints in till I received my license .

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »
We just turned our renewals into Muskegon County on Nov 7th.  Last time it was less than a week to get them in the mail but I expect it will be longer this time around.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 04:20:12 PM »
There is supposed to be an online renewal system in place in 2018, not holding my breathe that it will happen. I will probably go to the clerk's office next month.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 11:51:05 PM »
Hmm, when was that supposed to be in place?
I'm sure Governor Witmer will be just as eager to get right on that as Governor Snyder was.

According to MSP:
https://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10955--,00.html

CPL holders will be notified that their license is approaching expiration by their county clerk between three to six months prior to the expiration of their current license.  A CPL may be renewed at the appropriate county clerk’s office with a $115 payment to the county clerk.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 02:29:04 AM »
It supposedly happened at the same time the gun boards went away. From memory it was 2018 when it was to be active, that is all I remember.

If I don't see anything by the end of the year I will have to go to the clerks office. It would be nice to just do it online, but as you said I doubt anybody is in a hurry to something that has no penalty if they don't do it.

A quick search found an Mlive article https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/12/legislation_does_away_with_gun.html

ETA:
So this says Dec 1 2018
Page 16 - Sec 51
  (2) Subject to subsections (8) and (9), an application to renew a license to carry a concealed pistol may be submitted not more than 6 months before the expiration of the current license. No later than December 1, 2018, the department of state police shall provide a system for an applicant to submit his or her application to renew a license to carry a concealed pistol online or by first-class mail and shall accept those applications on behalf of the county clerk as required under this act at no additional charge.   

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »
I got a call from a friend this morning telling me to look at the mgo forum (because I asked him about this subject a few weeks ago).
It shows that the system will be available after Dec 1 2018.
My renewal letter doesn't have a PIN, so I will have to contact the MSP to get one.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?410962-ONLINE-CPL-RENEWAL-is-Live!

https://cplrenewal.msp.state.mi.us/CPLOnline/#!/

ETA: I just called the MSP, the lady said I have to contact the county clerk to get the PIN.

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 03:35:21 AM »
So is the renewal fee $10 or $115 next month?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
Renewal is $115, replacement is $10