Author Topic: Off-duty officer arrested after pulling gun during dispute with girlfriend  (Read 7192 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/04/off-duty_officer_arrested_afte.html

Anybody else think a deal will be made in which prosecutors intentionally agree to reduce charges to something that won't prohibit him from keeping his job?
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
As one of the commenters stated, "After further investigation the case was plea bargained down to a single count of jaywalking."  Interesting charges, though.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Read the original Detroit News story.  DPD Chief Craig stated, "I applaud the captain on the scene who did all the right things.  He handled it like any other crime."

Then he said, “We have no idea if the officer was under the influence of alcohol or not.”

Seems to me those two statements contradict each other.  Cop was partying at a club at 2:00 AM.  No breathalyzer down at the station afterward?  After brandishing a gun and threatening other people with it?

As one of the commenters stated, "After further investigation the case was plea bargained down to a single count of jaywalking."  Interesting charges, though.

That comment got one thumbs up and three thumbs down ratings.
The other comments were mostly baseless attacks on gun owners in general.
Now I remember why I don't read comments on MLive.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:55:24 PM by CitizensHaveRights »
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/04/23/detroit-police-officer-suspended-duty-gun-incident/34172909/

During a press conference at police headquarters, Police Chief James Craig said Fortner has been suspended with pay, but added he will ask the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners Thursday to withhold the officer’s pay.

Craig praised how Detroit officers and supervisors handled the incident.

“One of the criticisms police departments sometimes face is whether we treat police officers facing criminal investigations any differently,” Craig said. “(Fortner) was immediately taken into custody, witnesses were obtained, and video was obtained. I applaud the (officers and supervisors on the scene), who did a good job.”

That's way better than sending him home to sober up and giving him a week to make up a good story.
But like Gryphon said, why didn't they ask for a BAC test, and get a warrant for a blood sample if he refused?

His pretrial hearing was all over the news before it happened, but I can't find a single report about what happened in the hearing, or if the hearing was mooted by a plea bargain.

http://www.wjr.com/2018/06/04/cop-hauled-into-court/