Author Topic: PTSD? thoughts?  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Grifter

PTSD? thoughts?
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
So In light of DM and I going a short round in the Arts beats and eats thread. He brought up some very good points about liabilty and the potential for PTSD which got my noodle cranking and I figured I would throw up a post and see what you all had to say. PTSD has been a bit of an interest of mine for a while. I meet regularly with vets from all eras and we discuss and tell our "WAR" stories. I see it kind of as a way to decompress. As DM stated the effects of the "after kill" last for many years and can really ruin your life if un-prepared. 

So what I would like to see? Is what do you do now to mentaly and/or physically prepare for that day, the day we all hope never comes?

Heck do you even believe its possible to prepare or is it like hoping for the best?

Warchild

Re: PTSD? thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
I can't/won't go into details, just let me say;
You never forget, you have to learn to deal with it. Only comparison that even comes close is the loss of a loved one. Not the same by any means, but similar in that you do the best you can to suppress the emotions and deal with it until the next time.

ANYONE...who thinks they are ready for it, does not truly understand what is going to happen.

JMO 

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
I was ready for it... Until I came home. After I got back into civilian mode it f*cked me up for a bit. While I was there, it didn't bother me at all. You don't have time to think much over there. You revert back to your training to keep yourself alive. If you took time to think, you caught a bullet or hit a visible IED etc etc. Needless to say I was highly trained and was lucky for it, not many people get as good of training as we got to prepare up for the action we received. However, no one prepares you to come home. That's where they kind of throw you in the shark tank, so to speak. Civilian life will chew you up and spit you out, especially if they know WHAT you did over there. I learned to keep my mouth shut about certain things that happened very quickly. Not a lot of Joes go to the VA because they are afraid of repercussions, and with a good mind for it too. CPL's get denied for PTSD and a number of jobs are disregarded to you because of it.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
To clarify I mean I kinda felt bad about what I did.  ::)
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Offline Agent1

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:31 PM »
Good topic.

I pass. :(
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
This is my opinion only.Just as you train mentaly and physicaly for that time,when only you're training kicks in(as mentioned by Massad Ayoob of the leathal force institute),you first must be willing,as I believe most soldiers and leo's are.True,in these PC times,you are wise to speak to those who know and when it comes to those who would use it against you,keep it to yourself.It is yours to work out,with whomever you trust! It's your pain and whatever feelings come of it!It's your life or their's! When it's theirs,You carry on!You trained for it,You carried it out,You go on with Your God Given Life! Until you die of old age and Thank God for everything in between! God Bless!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline Grifter

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys, I like that the couple of vets/ current troopers we have here have posted up. I think again like DM posted many of our boys in the sandbox do stuff with their buddies and as Tango referenced they are fine, then they come home (Tango: same happened to me brother, fiancee and I broke up over the "difference") and stuff falls apart.

I am going to try and turn this a bit. What I am looking for is, How does a NON-institutionally trained American who wishes to carry prepare for that moment?

My not so functional grasp of the swamp that is PTSD lends me to the thought process that the better the training before the event the better life after the event.

The goal As i understand it, is some sort of auto response muscle memory were the shooter recoginizes the threat and just goes into action, rather then making a conscious decision to fire. Seems to me that without a ton of monetary assests and time it can get really hard to access some of the training thats available and get ones self to that point. So I wonder what joe blow does to get to that point. It can be aweful hard finding ranges where the shooter can train to that point and set up realistic targets.