Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 3033 times)

Offline AutumnArcher

A couple of questions
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:18:53 AM »
I've been reading a lot of the posts since I first joined this site, and have a couple of questions.
First, in regards to the ABE festival, if the MLCC issues a license to serve alcohol at a public event on public streets, does that somehow now negate the right to carry unless you have a CPL? The pfz regs state if it is a business which makes the majority of its income from the sale of liquor by the glass. This should not be the case with ABE. Am I correct in thinking that just because a business sells alcohol, that it is illegal to open carry into that business for any reason, based on the premise they are licensed by the MLCC?

LAst night I attended the Lapeer Days festival. I did not carry as I had had a couple beers earlier, and did not want to be in violation of zero tolerance rules regarding my CPL. But I couldnt help but notice that there was a beer tent set up downtown, and a lot of people drinking openiy in the streets of another'family" event sponsored by a city, on public streets. Also, the amount of underage drinking was quite high and very obvious. If the city is required to have a permit through the MLCC for the beer tent, then would it also be considered an area where open carry would be illegal? The problem if it is would be, how is anyone supposed to know whether a public event such as these are under the licensure of the MLCC?

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
Open carry is illegal, as is mere possession of a "firearm" on the premises, of any "establishment" licensed by the state to sell alcohol, unless you are licensed by the state of MI to carry a concealed pistol.  While I question whether AB&E can be classified as an "establishment", if it can, then OC w/o a CPL would indeed be illegal under 750.234d.