Author Topic: CPL Application Form/Guide Error?  (Read 6196 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
CPL Application Form/Guide Error?
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »
The CPL Application Guide has the following:

All Concealed Pistol Licenses issued after July 1, 2001, are unrestricted. However, licensees are prohibited from carrying a pistol in the following places:
  • A school or school property. However, a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up a student.
  • A private or public child care center or day care center, child caring institution, or child placing agency.
  • A sports arena or stadium.
  • A tavern or bar where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises.
  • Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple or other place of worship, unless the presiding officials permit the carrying on the property.
  • An entertainment facility, with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals, that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more or that has a sign above each public entrance stating that the seating is 2,500 or more.
  • A hospital.
  • A dorm or classroom of a college or university.

Notice, this does not mention a concealed pistol, it merely says: However, licensees are prohibited from carrying a pistol in the following places

This can be a bit misleading if the law is that you can carry openly in said places.  Should we work with the MSP to get this application kit updated/changed to read: However, licensees are prohibited from carrying a concealed pistol in the following places ???
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: CPL Application Form/Guide Error?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:07 PM »
I see no need for "we" :)  Hit them up and let them know, great find sir!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:13:33 PM »
I see no need for "we" :)  Hit them up and let them know, great find sir!

Any ideas what division to contact?  Statistical Records Division ???
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:17:12 PM »
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/guidetoservices_97058_7.pdf

Try this .. and I would start with the firearms records division.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »
I personally contacted the MSP about this about 2 years ago... I also mentioned that the website information at the time also did not have "concealed" as the operative word in the information .  They did change the website and told me that the form would be changed when they went through the forms that were already printed
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).