Author Topic: The Great C8 Roadshow  (Read 16690 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
The Great C8 Roadshow
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:43:14 AM »
In July Chevrolet unveiled the new mid-engine C8 Corvette. Production begins in December, and if you don't already have an order in, you'd be lucky to get one before Thanksgiving 2020.  I've already configured mine, but I'm going to wait until the demand dies down.  I'll have to make do with my C5.

I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks and stopped by Coughlin Chevrolet of Pataskala (Columbus, OH) on the way home to see the new C8 at a Corvette dealer roadshow.  Here are a few pics.

Front of car, along with two pics of the frunk (front trunk).

A couple of pics of the engine.  Note that this model does not have all production parts as the rocker covers were just spray painted plain covers and I suspect some other beauty covers are missing.  There is a 9mm (3/8") glass partition between the engine cover and the passenger compartment.  Someone told me it is quiet in the car (no or minimal engine noise which I had a concern about).

I took this pic while sitting in the passenger seat.

A view from the driver's seat.  I couldn't figure out how to turn the instrument cluster and infotainment screen on.  It would have made a better pic.

A few of me sitting in the car.  In the first one a blonde got in with me and told me to take off with her.  LOL.  After photographing me through the window my wife came inside.  (I'm just going to stay outside with the dog.  That didn't last long).  Yes, her photographic skills suck.

The person before me had the seat raised and reclined.  I fixed that after the pic was taken.  Yes, I'm about seven months and the baby is fine.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 03:08:33 PM by gryphon »

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: The Great C8 Roadshow
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 10:50:43 AM »

I can't see your pics, even when I tried quoting and previewing.
Can others see them?
Is there anybody else reading this forum?

I don't recall having trouble with tapatalk attachments before.

I've heard that 2019 C7s are suddenly selling for what you might have paid for a used 2017 in the Spring.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
Everyone should be able to see the pics.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »
I can't find that thread.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »
Looks like it got deleted.
Somebody claimed a car magazine sent a C8 to him for dyno testing and it put out something like 560hp/545torque, at pretty much the same RPM, as if the power fell off a cliff shortly after 5400rpm. The numbers didn't seem to make sense to me.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »
GM is claiming that preliminary C8 dyno testing is 490 HP, so the other report is over 10% higher.  Probably not 100% accurate for a stock C8.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:56:39 PM by gryphon »

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 08:58:56 PM »
I thought advertised power was around 475-495 at the crankshaft depending on the exhaust options.
The deleted arfcom thread was talking 560 through the tires, or presumably 650+ at the crank.
Sometimes performance cars are understated, but I never heard of factory spec being that far off, not even the old L88.
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/l88/l88engine.html

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 06:49:17 AM »
Absolutely.  Cars are understated for insurance purposes. That's why the HP rating measurement was changed years ago.  Prop v. crank.

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 01:44:10 PM »
I don't see pics either.
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 04:08:37 AM »
Okay, I'm going to try an replicate this post with a different photo source.  We'll see how it goes.

In July Chevrolet unveiled the new mid-engine C8 Corvette. Production begins in December, and if you don't already have an order in, you'd be lucky to get one before Thanksgiving 2020.  I've already configured mine, but I'm going to wait until the demand dies down.  I'll have to make do with my C5.

I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks and stopped by Coughlin Chevrolet of Pataskala (Columbus, OH) on the way home to see the new C8 at a Corvette dealer roadshow.  Here are a few pics.

Front of car, along with two pics of the frunk (front trunk).

A couple of pics of the engine.  Note that this model does not have all production parts as the rocker covers were just spray painted plain covers and I suspect some other beauty covers are missing.  There is a 9mm (3/8") glass partition between the engine cover and the passenger compartment.  Someone told me it is quiet in the car (no or minimal engine noise which I had a concern about).

I took this pic while sitting in the passenger seat.

A view from the driver's seat.  I couldn't figure out how to turn the instrument cluster and infotainment screen on.  It would have made a better pic.

A few of me sitting in the car.  In the first one a blonde got in with me and told me to take off with her.  LOL.  After photographing me through the window my wife came inside.  (I'm just going to stay outside with the dog.  That didn't last long).  Yes, her photographic skills suck.

The person before me had the seat raised and reclined.  I fixed that after the pic was taken.  Yes, I'm about seven months and the baby is fine.
[/quote]

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 10:36:38 AM »
I'm not seeing the photos from either post.   Just get the little question mark symbol.

-Pondy

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 12:20:56 PM »
Cutaway car:

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
Ha! I just saw that and was going to post it here for you.   ;D

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 08:57:14 PM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 09:05:31 PM »
Also, ref our previous messages, I mistakenly thought GM was claiming 495 RWHP, but they are saying it's at the crank I guess.  So that makes the difference even more because the dyno testing shows 561 RWHP so they figure 660 at the crank.  But that is using a 15% drivetrain loss.  GM claims they've got the loss down to, I think, about 8%.  So reduce the number from 660 HP to 610 HP.

Still...    ;D

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 12:11:40 AM »
Since the early 70s, I believe all claimed HP is SAE net at the crank with full exhaust and all accessories. (previous SAE gross could have open exhaust and no belt driven stuff).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 12:30:53 AM »
MotorTrend errors revealed!

MotorTrend figured out why they dyno numbers were high, the dyno operator had two settings wrong.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/corvette/2020/2020-chevrolet-c8-corvette-dyno-results-followup/