Author Topic: Carry, Siiezure, and Detention  (Read 9904 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Carry, Siiezure, and Detention
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
Let's assume I am legally carrying and I am "detained" (legally or not), can the officer ask me for possession of my piece or take it from me?

Let's assume I'm involved in a speed related traffic stop and I disclose my possession as required by law, can the officer un-arm me for the duration of the stop?  If so, please cite MCL references.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Re: Carry, Siiezure, and Detention
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
Yes he can ask for your weapon, and keep it for his and your safety. I was just checking my E-mail. And just wanted to let you know real soon. I will let some of the other members give you sites or comments. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »
There is no cite I can actually find.  The topic is covered under Michigan State Police's "Proper Conduct During Encounters With Police."

MSP website link, it is at very bottom:
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10941--,00.html

Sorry, best I can do.  It is standard practice, and was mentioned at the CPL class I took to tender your firearm when asked by a LEO, but I can not find a cite where it makes it legal for them to take possession at all.  A cite could be out there, but I was unable to find it.

-northofnowhere
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline ocdetroit

Re: Carry, Seizure, and Detention
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:34:50 PM »
Let me re enter. Just think if i am open carry and the only reason i was stopped was for that reason and that reason only then they should not take your gun. Why? It's my right to bear arms. And i don't need to have ID either. But to make things go smooth and fast I still carry my purchasing permit. Carry On ;D
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:18:22 AM »
I believe it's due the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Terry vs. Ohio which basically states that if an officer has detained you he has the right to do a quick surface pat down to look for anything that might be a weapon.  This is supposed to be for officer safety and not for evidence gathering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline emt805

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:10 AM »
This is supposed to be for officer safety and not for evidence gathering.

::) Looks good on paper. When do you hear about a leo not using what they find at anypoint as evidence?

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:17:34 AM »
The officer can "ask" you to do anything.

Here's where I have a problem with some of the word usage.

If he asks, and you give it to him, or tell him he may do so, then it is voluntary, regardless of if your required by law to let him. The officer does not need to "ask" you to surrender your firearm, because in Terry v Ohio, the USSC ruled that an officer may do a pat down of the outer for weapons and contraband if he has reason to believe the suspect is armed and dangerous. An officer may also "ask" if he can open your car door, and look inside. Maybe you didn't read, "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT", or maybe you didn't understand the methodology behind it.

The proper response to an officer asking you to surrender your firearm is, "I don't consent to search or seizure. Am I under arrest, or being detained?"

Stop worrying about things you have no control over. If the officer wants to seize your gun, he will do so, and he certainly doesn't need your permission. If he feels he needs your permission, then he's probably fishing, so why give it to him.

The reason there is no law mandating that your surrender your firearm, is because the USSC has already given him permission to seize it during a stop for officer safety. I've read where people have replied to the officer, "I'm not going to take it out of the holster, but I will let you (as if they have some say over it)." Well now, that was nice of you to help the officer by consenting to a search, thereby making the need for RAS negligible since you volunteered to it.

OC if you want (it's your choice), but this is what I meant when I said that, "If your going to OC, you should first know not only the law, and your rights, but also how to properly (meaning without escalating the situation) assert them."

Google "boundaries".

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »
Maybe I should refine my original question.

Of course, an officer *can* do anything he wants.  I'm either going to comply or resist.  If I resist, I may be tazed, tackled, taken to jail, etc.  The question is rather: MAY the officer (in accordance with the law) do this?  If he can, please cite the MCL reference.  Is there an MCL reference or is there just some case law made up by a judge?  If he is not authorized to do so BY LAW, is there a course of legal action one can take?

I'm asking these questions so I can learn.  I've not seen it in the law (I've read most of the Firearm Laws PDF posted on the State Police web site).  Did I miss it? If so, could someone point it out to me?

This has not happened to me so far, so the thread is a bit academic.  I'm just wanting to know in case it does happen.  Yes, I'm very familiar with "wash/rinse/repeat" and I'm willing to assert them.  If I assert them and the officer seizes my firearm anyhow, do I have any recourse within the legal system?

Offline Bronson

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »
The U.S. Supreme Court, the final interpreters of the law, decided that in the interest of officer safety an officer may disarm you while you are being detained.

See the above link to Terry vs. Ohio.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »
The U.S. Supreme Court, the final interpreters of the law, decided that in the interest of officer safety an officer may disarm you while you are being detained.

That's what I was afraid of :(  There is no law that says they can.

The Supreme Court isn't allowed to make laws.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:24:43 PM »
No case yet. Anyone of us can be the first if it goes that far. Just think about this or picture this, the leo comes up to you and draws his gun and say don't move don't touch that gun. He tells you that someone called and said a man has a gun ect,,. So he says for his safety and yours, he's going to take your gun until he find out whats going on. What are you going to do. Nothing give it up and make sure you can see your gun at all times until you have it back in your holster. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »

Of course, an officer *can* do anything he wants.  I'm either going to comply or resist.  If I resist, I may be tazed, tackled, taken to jail, etc.  The question is rather: MAY the officer (in accordance with the law) do this?  If he can, please cite the MCL reference.  Is there an MCL reference or is there just some case law made up by a judge?  If he is not authorized to do so BY LAW, is there a course of legal action one can take?

I'm asking these questions so I can learn.  I've not seen it in the law (I've read most of the Firearm Laws PDF posted on the State Police web site).  Did I miss it? If so, could someone point it out to me?

This has not happened to me so far, so the thread is a bit academic.  I'm just wanting to know in case it does happen.  Yes, I'm very familiar with "wash/rinse/repeat" and I'm willing to assert them.  If I assert them and the officer seizes my firearm anyhow, do I have any recourse within the legal system?
I addressed all of this in "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT".

Offline emt805

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 11:36:24 PM »
No case yet. Anyone of us can be the first if it goes that far. Just think about this or picture this, the leo comes up to you and draws his gun and say don't move don't touch that gun. He tells you that someone called and said a man has a gun ect,,. So he says for his safety and yours, he's going to take your gun until he find out whats going on. What are you going to do. Nothing give it up and make sure you can see your gun at all times until you have it back in your holster. Carry On.

He has no reason to draw his firearm as there is no threat to him if I am legally carrying mine in a holster.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
+1
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:08:52 AM »

He has no reason to draw his firearm as there is no threat to him if I am legally carrying mine in a holster.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CC4QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgdVWg8499Zs&ei=QiiHTLyUG4v_nAfx78jOCw&usg=AFQjCNHpQSHODEiOXXakyVcRNp-qvzfRWA

Only 12 months ago,....

please donate to the hamaneggs case fund if you can afford it

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 12:22:11 AM »

Of course, an officer *can* do anything he wants.  I'm either going to comply or resist.  If I resist, I may be tazed, tackled, taken to jail, etc.  The question is rather: MAY the officer (in accordance with the law) do this?
    Do what? He can always ask (just as you can give him permission/consent). If he is detaining you, then he can seize your weapon for officer safety. 
Quote from: TheQ
If he can, please cite the MCL reference.  Is there an MCL reference or is there just some case law made up by a judge? 
No MCL is necessary, as it is established precedence.

In Terry v Ohio, the US Supreme Court ruled that (when detaining a suspect) an officer can in the interest of officer safety do a brief pat down of the outer for weapons or contraband.

If he is not authorized to do so BY LAW, is there a course of legal action one can take?
   That is a question for your lawyer after it happens. If you are illegally detained (this will come out in discovery, which is done by your lawyer), then your lawyer may or may not feel the case is worth perusing.   

Addressed above (Terry v OH). 

This has not happened to me so far, so the thread is a bit academic.  I'm just wanting to know in case it does happen. 
   A better question is, "What difference does having this knowledge make to you?" Why do you feel you need this knowledge for "If it happens."?

Example. Say that you know that he cannot lawfully seize your weapon during a frisk. Then what? What difference does having that knowledge make? How does it affect your decisions during the encounter?

Suppose that you know for a fact, that the stop is unlawful, and he therefore has no right to seize the weapon, yet detains, frisks, and seizes your weapon (not saying it’s so, just taking supposition to the extreme for “academic” discussion). Then what will you do? How will this info matter to you in any way to you at that time?

You can play "What If', all day long, and understanding is good for what it's worth, but on the street, it is worthless, because there is not where it matters. And the person who will have some use for it is not you, but your lawyer.

Yes, I'm very familiar with "wash/rinse/repeat" and I'm willing to assert them.  If I assert them and the officer seizes my firearm anyhow, do I have any recourse within the legal system?
  That would be a question to ask your lawyer, since he would be the one representing you.

If you follow “WASH, RINSE, REPEAT”, then your questions are of no importance. Later, after the incident, they might have some meaning, but again, that would be for your lawyer, not you.   

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:59 AM »

How do you know?

Do you believe the officer's claim for why he is holding you at gunpoint?

Are you certain that he's telling you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

What if that man with a gun was reported to be acting in a crazed, wild-eyed manner that is inconsistent with rational behavior (excluding the gun)? 

Offline emt805

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:52 AM »

How do you know?

."
Are you certain that he's telling you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

What if that man with a gun was reported to be acting in a crazed, wild-eyed manner that is inconsistent with rational behavior (excluding the gun)? 

From wash, rinse, repeat.
"Keep in mind that the presence of a holstered handgun is not in and of itself reasonable suspicion to justify the Terry Stop however, it can be combined with other factors to constitute Reasonable Suspicion (RS). For an officer to detain you, he must do so under suspicion of a crime, and be able to articulate that reasonable suspicion. That is why it's always best to ask, "under suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?" When that is answered, you then ask for the officers RS. If the officer gives the "you've got a gun." for his RS, then it would be good to ask for clarification if that is the extent of his RS. That doesn’t mean that you argue with the officer when he tells you that the extent of his RS is a man with a gun (MWAG) call, and a gun visible on your hip. That is when you SHUT UP. If the officer gives you MWAG as the sole extent of his RS, then you are golden. Do not muck it up by talking or arguing with the officer, which could possible give him something else to hang on you. Street encounters are not the time to educate an officer. Politely ask him for his card, and inform him that you will neither resist, nor consent. There may well be times when an individual officer is open to discussion on the topic. However, those times will never be while you are being detained, and even then I would advise caution. Don’t use your best judgment, use good judgment."

From new to open carry start here
"5) A person openly carrying a firearm on foot in a legal manner when approached by a police officer and questioned where the only reason for the questioning is because of the openly carried firearm need not give that officer their name and address.  No license or ID is required to openly carry a firearm.   It is your option to provide ID/CPL"

From Lansin PD's Memo on oc
"What Open Carry Is Not

Carrying a handgun itself does not support disorderly conduct. Brandishing occurs only when the person is waving the firearm around in a threatening manner.

Another person’s fear of the mere presence of a firearm does not make an assault. Also, do not rely on the enforcement of a local ordinance to trump the Constitution. If a person who is openly carrying a handgun is committing a crime or is in a prohibited place, or if the owner/agent of the premises wants the individual to leave, then officers have a legal reason to engage a subject and enforce the law which may be in process of being violated.  Otherwise, a person carrying openly is no different from any other person in the same environment

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »

How do you know?

."

From wash, rinse, repeat.
"Keep in mind that the presence of a holstered handgun is not in and of itself reasonable suspicion to justify the Terry Stop however, it can be combined with other factors to constitute Reasonable Suspicion (RS). For an officer to detain you, he must do so under suspicion of a crime, and be able to articulate that reasonable suspicion. That is why it's always best to ask, "under suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?" When that is answered, you then ask for the officers RS. If the officer gives the "you've got a gun." for his RS, then it would be good to ask for clarification if that is the extent of his RS. That doesn’t mean that you argue with the officer when he tells you that the extent of his RS is a man with a gun (MWAG) call, and a gun visible on your hip. That is when you SHUT UP. If the officer gives you MWAG as the sole extent of his RS, then you are golden. Do not muck it up by talking or arguing with the officer, which could possible give him something else to hang on you. Street encounters are not the time to educate an officer. Politely ask him for his card, and inform him that you will neither resist, nor consent. There may well be times when an individual officer is open to discussion on the topic. However, those times will never be while you are being detained, and even then I would advise caution. Don’t use your best judgment, use good judgment."

From new to open carry start here
"5) A person openly carrying a firearm on foot in a legal manner when approached by a police officer and questioned where the only reason for the questioning is because of the openly carried firearm need not give that officer their name and address.  No license or ID is required to openly carry a firearm.   It is your option to provide ID/CPL"

From Lansin PD's Memo on oc
"What Open Carry Is Not

Carrying a handgun itself does not support disorderly conduct. Brandishing occurs only when the person is waving the firearm around in a threatening manner.

Another person’s fear of the mere presence of a firearm does not make an assault. Also, do not rely on the enforcement of a local ordinance to trump the Constitution. If a person who is openly carrying a handgun is committing a crime or is in a prohibited place, or if the owner/agent of the premises wants the individual to leave, then officers have a legal reason to engage a subject and enforce the law which may be in process of being violated.  Otherwise, a person carrying openly is no different from any other person in the same environment
I wrote "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT", so you don't have to quote it back to me thank you very much.

Other than to state the obvious, what's your point? IOW, why do you think it has anything to do with what you quoted me saying above?

If your going to play, then think outside the box.