Author Topic: Where can I go to shoot outside freely?  (Read 107015 times)

Offline hamaneggs

Where can I go to shoot outside freely?
« on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
I need a place to shoot and train outdoors,not neccessarily a shooting range,where I can shoot free without range officers.Anywhere within an afternoon's round trip drive from Warren.Does anyone know where this paradise is?I've been suffering from a lack of such a place since I moved back from Indiana,where the public ranges were unattended and set up with benches and backstops and I had to sell my 11 acres in the Irish hills where all I had to do is step out my back door and start shooting.I would appreciate any info on this topic of freedom.Thanks and God Bless! Jeff.
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

stainless1911

Re: Where can I go to shoot outside freely?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:08:16 PM »
When you find one, lemme know, I'd like to join you.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »
i think u can shoot just about any public hunting land,as long as its at a clearly identifiable artificially constructed target,and there is no attempt to take game,thats what i heard from a few DNR range officers near bath.

its what ive been doing since they told me,but i keep a valid small game permit anyways,so that even if they do say there is an attempt to take game,it simply transfers over from target shooting to small game hunting,which is year round for some species.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
A decent backstop so I can shoot my AK is preferrable.I've lazer sighted my AK but need to put it on paper at 100 yards and possibly 200 yards.
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline viperar15-member

• Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
Dont know if this is what you would be looking for. Then again, they are shooting ranges that you pay a yearly membership for, but they are not "staffed" with range officers.

Saginaw Field and Stream Club (Saginaw)
Linwood Bay & Sportsmans Club
Midland County Sportsmans Club (Midland)

The main thing that it really comes down to, is that you are safe and that the firearm is pointed in a safe direction (usually down at the ground or down range).
Shaun Crawford

Offline RandyK

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:32:47 AM »
 This place does exist, ive been there. It is in Lapeer they call it the "Pit". Its on state land that is posted for public hunting by the DNR. There is a parking lot, garbage cans and they have concrete barriers to mark the firing line and to set your stuff on. They have a big dirt mound about 80-100 yards out for rifle and a shorter one for handgun. There aren't any benchs so you would have to bring something to rest on if you needed that. There are no range officers and no rules about rapid fire. Everybody is just respectful of each other. They call a seize fire every so often to change targets. The only rule is clean up after yourself. I went one time right after Holloween there were plenty of pumpkins to shoot, empty propane tanks, fire extinguishers or bring your own targets. There were actually guys that hollowed a hole in the front of some pumpkins then put a 20 oz. bottle filled with an explosive liquid in the hole and were shooting them with a belt fed 30 with a crank handle. It was pretty bad ass when they actually hit one! There was plenty of full auto also. Its located 1/4 mile north of Lapeer Dragway-2691 Roods Lake Rd, Lapeer. The way I take from Warren is Van Dyke to M53 north to I69 west get off on M24 Lapeer Rd take it north thru Lapeer to Daley Rd east (which is a right) take that to Roods Lake Rd north (which is a left) you will pass the drag strip on your left keep going there will be a big clearing on you right. It takes a little while to get there but is sooo worth it. I almost dont want to shoot anywere else. I bought a new AK this past winter that I haven't shot yet so if you guys wanna plan a day to go im in. Ill even drive. It gets busy fast so you kinda have to get there early to get a spot. I think guys start shooting at 9 or 10 am.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:43:42 AM by RandyK »

stainless1911

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:48:20 AM »
Ive heard of this, though it sounded too good to be true.
Is there a window sticker requirement?

Is there an adress so I can mapquest it?

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 04:32:13 AM »
Thats exactly what I was looking for.If you'll drive RandyK,I'll go any time.The wife may not want me to drive our only vehicle until my state refund shows up shortly and I get the front end alignment.To her it's a distance thing.To me I would drive if there was only one tire,but she isn't a frustrated gun nut like me.It's only a matter of time with her after I finally get her out to shoot and have a literal blast! Like I said, Any Time! Thanks! Jeff.

Offline SpringerXDacp

• AmmoDump
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:23 AM »
Ive heard of this, though it sounded too good to be true.
Is there a window sticker requirement?

Is there an adress so I can mapquest it?

The marker on this map is Lapeer Dragway, the Pit is about a 1/4 mile North on Roods Road on the East side of the road--can't miss it.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=43.109202&lon=-83.279375&zoom=16&q1=2691%20Roods%20Lake%20Road%20Lapeer%20Michigan&gid1=16307730

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
If there is a pit trip planned I want in! I have some ammo burning a hole in my barrel!
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline sasha601

Shoot Freely
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »
This provides a good flavor of Lapeer Pit. Awsome place. No restrictions of any kind. Just common sense and courtesy to your fellow shooter:

Offline FatboyCykes

Shoot Freely
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
This provides a good flavor of Lapeer Pit. Awsome place. No restrictions of any kind. Just common sense and courtesy to your fellow shooter:

I think this was meant to be in Hamneggs thread, about shooting freely.

Offline Bronson

Re: Shoot Freely
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »
Just common sense

Hmmm, looks like a lot of shooting at things on the ground.  Commons sense should tell us that is usually a bad idea.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

stainless1911

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »

:D :D :D

Offline SpringerXDacp

• AmmoDump
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

:D :D :D

I was there that day last year (November Video) when he was launching pumpkins and a bowling ball.

Offline romeopeoples

• First Name (Displayed): DUH-g
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
Beware the DNR has placed restrictions on the Pit...no aerial targets includes clays. No explosive (tannerite) or incendiary targets. Only paper, cardboard or retail manufactured (not homemade) reactive targets (metal OK) on the ground or retail stand. They were giving out tickets when I was there to guys throwing clays for shotgun. So the exploding pumpkins are only a memory on video. :( :-\  Someone got hurt last year from a ricochet off a plate. There is a DNR video on their site about the new Pit rules. See that for details.

Offline nmadole

• Wizard
  • MOC Member
    • The Gun Store
  • First Name (Displayed): Nick Madole
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
If anyone is ever near Honor ... I know a perfect place
Owner - The Gun Store / Elysium Armament Nick@Migunstore.com

www.MIGunStore.com