Author Topic: Self Defense Ammo  (Read 9027 times)

Offline KelticKowboy

Self Defense Ammo
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »
I need to purchase some 9mm self defense ammo for my Glock 19.  Any suggestions would be appreciated and also please include why the recommendation?
KK

Offline Advanced Security

Re: Self Defense Ammo
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
I need to purchase some 9mm self defense ammo for my Glock 19.  Any suggestions would be appreciated and also please include why the recommendation?

I use +p+ hydrashock, and 115gr. FMJ alternating rounds...

Offline KelticKowboy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »

Why do you use alternating rounds?
KK

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »

Thick clothing, partially covered active shooter, anytime I don't think my hydrashock will penetrate a target, I'm thinking the FMJ will have better luck.  Some say its an urban myth, I've not done/read and tests, or studys, but I just don't want to be a test case. If anyone knows of a reliable source that shows otherwise, I'm all ears. :) I love learning new stuff. Especially when it could potentially safe my life. :)

God Bless,
Jeff

Offline KelticKowboy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:00:42 PM »

Thick clothing, partially covered active shooter, anytime I don't think my hydrashock will penetrate a target, I'm thinking the FMJ will have better luck.  Some say its an urban myth, I've not done/read and tests, or studys, but I just don't want to be a test case. If anyone knows of a reliable source that shows otherwise, I'm all ears. :) I love learning new stuff. Especially when it could potentially safe my life. :)

God Bless,
Jeff

Have you looked at Hornady Critical Defense?  It has a soft polymer insert which is supposed to help with penetration and expansion.
KK

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »
If you want to read some about penetration try here:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »

Have you looked at Hornady Critical Defense?  It has a soft polymer insert which is supposed to help with penetration and expansion.

Yes, I have. I personally have shot an old car trunk lid with it, while it was better than the hydrashock, it wasn't nearly as good as FMJ. Cinder blocks and that kinda stuff acted similarly. I was impressed with it as a single type of ammo though.  It is really good at what it does, just hard to compare apples to oranges like that. BTW exit holes were noticeably larger with the Hornadays.

Hope this helps...

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
Firstly it's important to remember that NO ammo is 100% reliable.  It is all made by man and man, and by extension his creation, is fallible.  That being said I carry Corbon DPX because in my research it offers the most consistent performance.  In most of the tests I've done or read this ammo does what the manufacturer says it will do the vast majority of the time.  I like that the ammo manufacturer uses real world guns to generate their test data instead of "perfect world" long test barrels (they use a Kel-Tec P3AT for their .380 data).  It is also an all copper bullet so there is no worry about the jacket separating from the core during expansion.

I've stopped carrying the PMC Starfire ammo because it has a tendency to not expand after passing through clothing, much like Hydroshocks.  I have personally fired DPX through 8 layers of canvas and they have still expanded as advertised.  I have also seen the test results of people I trust that have about a 50/50 success with the new Hornady Critical Defense (it works great as long as it doesn't have to pass through clothing).  I have personally witnessed Hornady's TAP ammo in 9mm fail to expand (3 shots) after passing through 3 layers of medium canvas.

You must first find an ammo that functions reliably in your gun then test it.  Seeing something pass or fail with your own two eyes is much more informing than reading about other people's experiences.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:07:31 PM »
Firstly it's important to remember that NO ammo is 100% reliable.  It is all made by man and man, and by extension his creation, is fallible.  That being said I carry Corbon DPX because in my research it offers the most consistent performance.  In most of the tests I've done or read this ammo does what the manufacturer says it will do the vast majority of the time.  I like that the ammo manufacturer uses real world guns to generate their test data instead of "perfect world" long test barrels (they use a Kel-Tec P3AT for their .380 data).  It is also an all copper bullet so there is no worry about the jacket separating from the core during expansion.

I've stopped carrying the PMC Starfire ammo because it has a tendency to not expand after passing through clothing, much like Hydroshocks.  I have personally fired DPX through 8 layers of canvas and they have still expanded as advertised.  I have also seen the test results of people I trust that have about a 50/50 success with the new Hornady Critical Defense (it works great as long as it doesn't have to pass through clothing).  I have personally witnessed Hornady's TAP ammo in 9mm fail to expand (3 shots) after passing through 3 layers of medium canvas.

You must first find an ammo that functions reliably in your gun then test it.  Seeing something pass or fail with your own two eyes is much more informing than reading about other people's experiences.

Bronson

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »
Speer gold dots

Double Tap
http://www.doubletapammo.com/
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline Master Control

• MOC Charter Member Augusta, MI.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »

God Bless,
Jeff

The following video should give some light to the self defense ammo discussion:

"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
I use Hornady Critical Defense (115 gr.) and Speer gold dot (147 gr).  I alternate back and forth between these two every other round.  Be careful of this strategy because the alternating weight bullets will produce different recoils.

The video referenced above makes an interesting point, but credits the wrong source.

It says the FBI says the impact of the bullet will have no more force than the recoil on the gun.  This is true, but it was Newton who first said this in his third law:

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline LOATS

• Michigan Land Rescue Team
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:34:24 AM »
Here is an idea, use what your local LEO's use.  God forbid, you have to use your sidearm and end up in court, the prosecuting attourney is going to try to make you out to be some gun toting wacko.  And if you are using +P+ or other high penetrating loads you will be helping to build their case.  If you use exactly what local law enforcement uses, the argument about that is over.
Michigan Land Rescue Team
www.michiganlandrescue.com
We are part of the solution, you are welcome to join us.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
Here is an idea, use what your local LEO's use.  God forbid, you have to use your sidearm and end up in court, the prosecuting attourney is going to try to make you out to be some gun toting wacko.  And if you are using +P+ or other high penetrating loads you will be helping to build their case.  If you use exactly what local law enforcement uses, the argument about that is over.

Shame on you for using self-defense ammo, in a self-defense situation.  You should know better.  ::)

Offline LOATS

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
Over-penetration is a possibility.  It is a concern to me.  I am confident my standard hollow points will do the job, consistently.
Michigan Land Rescue Team
www.michiganlandrescue.com
We are part of the solution, you are welcome to join us.

Offline StingMP9

• "Yes Have Some" - Harold Ramis - Ghostbusters
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »
I alternate Corbon Powerball and Corbon DPX 9mm in 2 17round mags that I carry.