Author Topic: Arts Beats And Eats, After Action Report  (Read 8431 times)

Arts Beats And Eats, After Action Report
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:01:26 AM »
Well I went today, and it was completely uneventful.  I parked about a mile north on North Washington Avenue in front of the American House, and walked in to avoid paying witz's parking fee.  The place was completely clogged with people, I mean Shoulder to shoulder, the streets were completely impassable, and the side walks were barely possible, I felt like I was walking through the streets of Bangkok, or something it was so ridiculously over crowded, actually I think Bangkok would likely be an improvement.  God help you if you were in there, and had to get out in a hurry, or the crowd panicked.  I went to prove a point, educate, and show solidarity with the people screwed by the liqueur license, I don't know why anyone else would come to a disorganized over crowded mess like that, even if you wanted to buy something, or do something it was to crowded to do it, there were places that it literally took 1 minute to move 1 foot, it was insane.

Of all the thousands of people there I don't think hardly anyone even noticed that I was carrying, I got no comments, no questions, nothing, I might have gotten a couple of glances, but I'm not sure, it really speaks volumes for the lack of situational awareness for most people.

I did run in to the media though, kind of, channel 4 to be specific, the van was there, and the reporter was getting ready to go live with the weather report I think, at least that's what I heard him saying to the camera man, I couldn't squeeze through the crowd so I had to stand there a minute, and as I was one of the "event staff" must have noticed that I was carrying, because he rushed over to the reporter, and pointed me out, but I heard the reporter tell him that he didn't want to cover "the gun thing", and they waited to start filming until I moved out of the shot, I was tempted to turn around, and deliberately get back in the shot, but I didn't.

Open Carry Alcohol was of course everywhere, as were beer stands, and lots, and lots of minors.  The air smelt of nothing but sweat, burnt barbecue "stuff", and booze, with just a hint of cigarettes thrown in for good measure.

I video taped my time there, and was able to get about 45 minutes worth before I ran out of battery power.  I'll try to get it posted up tomorrow night if I can, I've had about as much Arts Beats And Eats I can take for tonight.

One humorous anecdote though, apparently my camcorder must look like a Flashbang, because after I left, and was walking back to my car I was waiting for a crossing signal, and a group of teenagers standing behind me apparently noticed me carrying, and were talking amongst themselves, and apparently I had a Taser (actually a Glock 22) Spare Magazines (true, I had 4, and I was pleased that they said mags, and not clips), and a Flashbang, which I assume must have been my Camcorder.

Offline BTAvery

Re: Arts Beats And Eats, After Action Report
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
Well I thank you sir for going where so many wanted but couldn't go. Sounds as bad as the couple minutes when I was there.

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »
I don't understand.Weren't there dozens of children screaming in terror at the sight of you?I must have been missinformed by the media again! I hate when that happens! Thanks for being there for OCers who couldn't be!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:22:03 AM »
I don't understand.Weren't there dozens of children screaming in terror at the sight of you?I must have been missinformed by the media again! I hate when that happens! Thanks for being there for OCers who couldn't be!

+1

I was told that you always know a gun is around because people magically sense them and start to run amok in groups of hundreds,usually trampling many people to death.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:40:27 AM »
The Video is now up:

Please excuse the terrible camera work in parts 1, and 2.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
The Video is now up:

Any particular points you'd like to highlight for us?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
The Video is now up:

Any particular points you'd like to highlight for us?

Not really, it was uneventful, over crowded, and boring.  The only thing of note is that out of those THOUSANDS of people NOBODY noticed that I was carrying, after the battery ran down a whopping 3 people noticed (A event staffer who ran off to tell the reporter, a little kid that I heard ask "Is that a policeman daddy?", and a teenager that thought it was a taser), but that was it, out of thousands. Also of note is the prevalence of open alcohol, and very young children.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
and a teenager that thought it was a taser

Silly teens.  Don't they know tasers are illegal in Michigan (for non-LEO)? ;)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »
Also of note is the prevalence of open alcohol, and very young children.

So noted.

I should note public drinking/drunk laws are often passed and selectively enforced as a way to criminalize being homeless.

That being said, I am a supporter of the Wisconsin and Texas drinking laws.  Old enough to breath? You're old enough to drink in the company of your parents and with their consent.  I would support the passage of such a law in Michigan, but that's off topic.

Offline skunkworks

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
Glad to hear it all went ....well....boring.   ;D
I bet the kids were referring to your Glock as the flash-bang and the camera as a tazer.  They probably thought it was a stun-gun and ignorantly call it a Tazer 'cause that's the name they know.  None of that really matters.
I'm glad you went.  I'm glad I didn't.  I hate crowds like that.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I read in the Detroit News that ArtsBeatsEats earned $10 million dollars for the four days of festival. There were 425,000 people including the business interests who did not have to pay entrance fee. The open carry controversy was not a factor in the attendance figure. That shows that we can all get along with each other. Nice work on going along to get along!

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
Here Here  ::)
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline emt805

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 02:23:16 AM »
Here is a post from the 9th  http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20100909/OPINION/9090603 with mention to Small_Arms_Collector