Author Topic: Arts, Beats, & Eats Festival - Pistol Free Zone Designation Discussion  (Read 3918 times)

Offline PDinDetroit

Due to the recent City Commission Meeting, I have created and sent the following email.

David J. Poulton, City Commissioner
City of Royal Oak, MI

Mr. David J. Poulton,

This letter is a follow-up pertaining to your discussion points on Pistol or Gun Free Zones and possible application to the Arts, Beats, & Eats Festival.  You appear to be a reasonable person, so I will engage you with discourse of the same.  All that is contained within this communication is In My Opinion only and I firmly believe you will find it to be useful.  The attachments detail applicable law, applicable Michigan Attorney General Opinions, and analysis of such.

During the September 13th 2010 City Commission Meeting, you stated that the Festival Operator could grant permission to persons residing or working in a business within the Festival Grounds to possess firearms.  A Festival Operator cannot grant persons the right to violate State Law.  I am surprised that you, as an elected City Official charged with understanding and upholding the law, would make such an uninformed statement.  I ask you to reconsider this statement.

I believe that you will find this information complete and answers to the ability to declare the Festival Grounds a Pistol or Gun Free Zone.  I again encourage you, or any other Royal Oak City Official, to contact me to discuss these points if you require further clarification.

Sincerely,

PDinDetroit

cc:
The Honorable Mayor, Jim Ellison
Donald E. Johnson, City Manager
David Gillam, City Attorney
Michael Andrzejak, City Commissioner
Patricia Capello, City Commissioner
Terry Drinkwine, City Commissioner
Jim Rasor, City Commissioner
Charles Semchena, City Commissioner

Offline PDinDetroit

Re: Arts, Beats, & Eats Festival - Pistol Free Zone Designation Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »
It appears that I cannot do attachments, so please look at the following OCDO Post for these: 

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80733-Arts-Beats-amp-Eats-Festival-Pistol-Free-Zone-Designation-Discussion

Offline PDinDetroit

Re: Arts, Beats, & Eats Festival - Pistol Free Zone Designation Discussion
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Even though I disagree with Commissioner Poulton and his position, I commend him for responding to my email.

PDinDetroit:

Thank you for contacing me about an important issue in the city.  I appreciate your enthusiasm on this issue.  However, despite your spirited arguments in support of your position, I stand by my interpretation of the law and its application to Arts, Beats and Eats.  I wish you the best in your pursuit of educating the public on your area of interest.

Sincerely,

Dave Poulton

Here is my response to him:

Mr Poulton:

Thank you for the reply.  I only ask that you, as a City Commissioner, follow applicable laws.

What is your position on the following statements?

The Festival Operator could grant permission to persons residing or working in a business within the Festival Grounds to possess firearms.  A Festival Operator cannot grant persons the right to violate State Law.

- PDinDetroit