Author Topic: OC holster for Taurus PT 1911 AR?  (Read 7254 times)

Offline johnnymcsavage

OC holster for Taurus PT 1911 AR?
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
I have been scouring the internet for a holster that will let me OC comfortably, but I have not found one that will accomodate the gargantuan accessory rail. It is a full size 1911 and the holster/belt I have really kill my back when I have to carry for work and when I am out and about. Anyone know of a company that make one? I should also add that having it be a retention holster would be even better.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: OC holster for Taurus PT 1911 AR?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »
What kind of belt do you wear with your holster?
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline johnnymcsavage

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:25 AM »
I wear just a plain black Dickies belt. I don't have a special belt or anything. I also wear the same belt for work as a duty belt because no duty belt will fit my holster.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:33:10 AM »
A leather holster with a thumb break for a cocked and locked 1911 is a bit of a challenge.  The thumb break strap has a tendency to interfere with the thumb safety and click the safety off.  Your best bet is to try a Serpa or Safariland duty holster....I don't know if they have one that will accomodate a railed 1911.

Also as a daily carrier of a full-sized 1911 myself I can say with absolute certainty that you need a better belt.  It is a heavy rig and a purpose built gun belt is a necessity.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline johnnymcsavage

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:16:54 AM »
I am going to upgrade to a bigger belt when I have the money. Work has been terribly slow and I have have not brought in any money in over a month. I also have a back problem so I think a bigger belt would also lessen the strain that a gun like that can put on the body.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:40:32 AM »
Take a look at the Uncle Mikes Instructor belt from Optics Planet. I have one and it is a good belt on the cheap!!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:04:43 PM »
Take a look at the Uncle Mikes Instructor belt from Optics Planet. I have one and it is a good belt on the cheap!!

I've had very good service from Optics Planet and I often find some really good deals on their site.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine