Author Topic: Anyone on here familiar with Michigan OC (oleoresin capsicum) spray laws?  (Read 4475 times)

Offline johnnymcsavage

I was told today that the OC spray I had got my girlfriend was illegal due to some new addition to the law pertaining to OC devices. The old law stated that as long as it was 2% oloeresin capsicum (OC) and had no more than 35g of CN/CS it was legal. Now I am being told that the state has put a limit on the SHU (Scoville Heat Units). They stuff I bought is 5.3 million SHU and apparently it violates the rule because the "new limit" is 2 million SHU. I know that some of you are better at finding stuff like this than I am so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Offline Advanced Security

Re: Anyone on here familiar with Michigan OC (oleoresin capsicum) spray laws?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
Got a few questions.

First, what's the primary use for her OC spray?

Is she going to carry it, or leave it in the car?

Are you stuck on OC spray, or would you be interested in alternatives?

God Bless,

Jeff

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
well, if you girlfriend is set on useing OC as her defense spray i work for a company that trains people and law enforcement on its use with all current use of force laws. the course is put on by ASP. Inc and taught in macomb county. you get a discount for being a MOC member. she will get to expose a simulated bad guy to the OC. the spray comes with the course you can pm me if your interested.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:23 PM »
According to the MSP,there is no scoville unit limit.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#OTHER_WEAPONS__NON_PISTOLS_

and they are correct for once! The only limits are the ones mentioned.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline johnnymcsavage

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:19:47 AM »
I work in armed security myself, and I am certified in ASP Heat and V4 OC devices. Boss brought it up that the MSP came out with a note or something stating that they had put a SHU limit on OC spray devices. She carries it on her for personal protection and I have taught her how to properly use it, even going so far as to buy a training can to demonstrate proper technique. I really appreciate you help guys!