Author Topic: Fun Times in West Branch  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Yosemite Sam

Fun Times in West Branch
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »
   Had an incident in West Branch about a week ago. There was this young kid; I’ll call him a young kid because I’m 55 and he’s 19. He was open carrying in the City park when, the city police chief stopped him and took away his gun. The young man tried to tell the officer it was legal in Michigan to Open Carry. The Chief said that there was an ordinance against carrying in the city. I guess the kid told him that he didn’t know about any Ordinance. The police held on to his gun for about 4 days. And when they gave it back to him, “They said that the only reason that they were giving him his gun back was because he was a good kid, and that he didn’t know about the ordinance. But they may still charge him with something they just didn’t know what yet, and explain to him that it was illegal to carry in the city limits because of their ordinance.” (I hear he’s in the military)
  A few days later, when I heard of this, I called the City Police Chief and advised him that what he did was illegal and that Michigan law MCL.123.1102 trumps any ordinance that they may have in place. He then said that, that was my opinion and that the city attorney advised him that he could enforce it. I again told him he was wrong, and that if he continued doing this, that he was setting himself and the city of West Branch up to be SUED. I then told him that I just came from the Hospital in his city, and that I was open carrying in there, and that there was nothing he could do about it! And that I’ll be back there in about an hour or so visiting my wife if he any questions. After about 15 mins. or so, of trying to explain to him he was still wrong! I asked him if he had a fax number. He said yes, and gave it to me. I said that I would fax him some info. that he and the city Attorney might want to read, before they cost the city some REAL money! (A Leo Packet was faxed) I open carry in West Branch all the time with no problems. He never did come to the hospital that I know of. I never saw him at least.
   Since then, I talked with this young man and he said “Everything is fine with open carrying.” But that every time he looks in his mirror the city police are always following him. I said they are just waiting for you to mess up some way or some how. “Just keep your nose clean!!” And if they hassle him about open carrying just call me and I’ll see what we can do to help! (He learned about Open Carry from the Tri-folds I left at the Pawn Shop in West Branch.) I hear thru the grape vine that the chief went to the Ogemaw County Sheriffs office and they told also told him that he was wrong!! So when heading north, make sure you stop in the NOW friendly city of West Branch!!
 Sorry About the Book!!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Fun Times in West Branch
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
So -- when's the march through downtown West Branch.  Tell me what weekend and time and I'll be there!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »
me too! but lets do it when its warm out, I hate the cold! ;D
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
yosemite, you provided a fine service to the police chief and the city. Keep up the good work. I know the young man enjoys your support!

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »
DAMN I used to live like 30 minutes from West Branch (east). If I had only known I would have come over for a walk or something. Maybe on my way to the U.P. sometime I will take a walk for shits and giggles.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
Calling the Question.

So, let me call the question to those following this thread. Nov. 14, would you support an open carry rally/march in West Branch on that day?

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »
Wish I could but I have a class on Monday Evenings so I won't be up in my old town till November 16th or 15th at like 2 am.

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »
I'm booked to play a show that day but we might cancel that one... so maybe. If I can afford the drive.
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
Ill go and drive if i can get 3 other riders to pack my Honda.  figured 15.00 per rider rider should cover gas!

I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline Yosemite Sam

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »
Calling the Question.

So, let me call the question to those following this thread. Nov. 14, would you support an open carry rally/march in West Branch on that day?

It will be held at: G's Pizzeria And Deli, 200 W Houghton Ave, West Branch, Michigan, (989) 345-3008. On November 14, 2010, Starting at 3:00 pm. This pizzeria is located almost across the street from the Ogamaw City Police station. See ya there!!

Offline emt805

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »
Calling the Question.

It will be held at: G's Pizzeria And Deli, 200 W Houghton Ave, West Branch, Michigan, (989) 345-3008. On November 14, 2010, Starting at 3:00 pm. This pizzeria is located almost across the street from the Ogamaw City Police station. See ya there!!

Wish I could go it's been years since I have been up there but G's has amazing pizza

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
LOL I know the manager of the one in my old town Tawas City.

Offline glock2go

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 12:32:08 AM »
So is this still a go for November 14th?  Who plans on being there?  I will plan to attend if others will be there.

Offline Yosemite Sam

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »
I did get a letter signed stating that non-cpl holders will be welcome!! As long as they are with members.
I will be there!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:59:44 PM by Yosemite Sam »

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 01:38:52 AM »
So is this still a go for November 14th?  Who plans on being there?  I will plan to attend if others will be there.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?81589-Fun-Times-in-West-Branch