Author Topic: I wonder when this crime was committed???  (Read 6778 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
I wonder when this crime was committed???
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »
http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/90116607.html

A Lansing police officer is suspended from the force. Lori Williams, an 8-year veteran assigned to uniform patrol, is charged with four misdemeanors for improperly using the "Law Enforcement Information Network" or "LEIN".

That's the system police use to check a person's background--- like their driving record, criminal history, or whether or not there's a warrant out for their arrest.

Officer Williams remains on paid administrative leave until an internal investigation is complete.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Bronson

Re: I wonder when this crime was committed???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »
According to this article http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100407/NEWS01/304070032/1161/char it happened in Nov. 2008.  There is also a pic of the officer at that link, was she involved in the Ponderosa flap?

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
According to this article http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100407/NEWS01/304070032/1161/char it happened in Nov. 2008.  There is also a pic of the officer at that link, was she involved in the Ponderosa flap?

Bronson

As it turns out no or at least not to anyone's knowledge.

I have been getting flack other places for posting this before all the news articles came out. IE before we knew the date in question. However regardless of whether this was related to ponderosa or not the very fact remains that they misused the system that day as well and even went so far as to post a BOLO on several people.

I would not be surprised to see more of this later related to that event.

I was not aware that there was an unwritten rule that one must wait 24 hrs before posting breaking news so that one had all the details  ::)
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
I have been getting flack other places for posting this before all the news articles came out.

I've seen that.  It's probably a UFO controlling people's minds and making them grumpy  :P

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
I have been getting flack other places for posting this before all the news articles came out.

I've seen that.  It's probably a UFO controlling people's minds and making them grumpy  :P

Bronson

;D

Offline cabman1

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »
When she was at work!!!!!
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »

anetsprungen

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
I wonder what "crime" was committed!

People regularly misuse the resources they are entrusted with.  Sometimes they get caught and must pay a penalty.  However, I am more interested in the what and why.  Since they state it is a "criminal investigation", I wonder how they differentiate that from a simple "misuse of government property".  I am very interested in the details of the investigation and here's why.

Almost twenty years ago, a relative of mine had access to LEIN.  At my request they did a search to find out if my daughter, who had been adopted by another family when she was just three years old, had been issued a driver's license.  She was born in Maryland where adoption records were sealed and had hit a wall in trying to locate her.  I spent several years trying to find her.  I knew her adopted name and probable location.  With the information I received, I was able to open communications dialog with my only child, who I had not seen for sixteen years.  I was subsequently reunited with her and have since maintained communications with her ever since.  Later this month, I will be making my annual pilgrimage to visit with her and her family.  In my opinion, the end justified the means.  However, did my relative do it for personal or monetary gain.  Some might say so, no matter how indirect the gain was.

Roy
 8)

stainless1911

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
I am truly happy for you, and touched.

Offline cabman1

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:57:38 PM »
I wonder what "crime" was committed!

The crime that was committed was she used the lein system for something other then what she was supposed to use it for period.She knew the law decided to break them so now she has to face the charges.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

anetsprungen

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:25:53 PM »
The crime that was committed was she used the lein system for something other then what she was supposed to use it for period.

I have never known the misuse of a computer system to be considered a "crime" although it is usually a violation of policy.  Cabman's comment prompted me to try and find out.  Here is an example of an infraction, that no matter how benign, is considered a crime if they can prove her action was "for personal use or gain".  Simply misusing a system is not a crime in and of itself, although it is actionable.  Semantics, in a scenario such as this, can have its own undesirable consequences.

MCL Chapter 28 (MICHIGAN STATE POLICE); C.J.I.S. POLICY COUNCIL ACT; Section 28.214 Council; powers and duties; fingerprints; disclosure of information; violation; penalty.

(3) A person shall not access, use, or disclose nonpublic information governed under this act for personal use or gain.

(4) The attorney general or his or her designee, a prosecuting attorney, or the court, in a criminal case, may disclose to the defendant or the defendant's attorney of record information pertaining to that defendant that was obtained from the law enforcement information system.

(5) A person shall not disclose information governed under this act in a manner that is not authorized by law or rule.

(6) A person who intentionally violates subsection (3) or (5) is guilty of a crime as follows:

(a) For a first offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

(b) For a second or subsequent offense, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

Roy
 8)