Author Topic: local indoor range choices  (Read 9140 times)

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
local indoor range choices
« on: November 18, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »
Hey all,

My brother is coming back this weekend from Air Force training for 2 weeks before he heads out to Germany.  I'd like to get a decent spot to take him and my dad out shooting, but nothing exists in St. Clair County that I'm aware of.  Anyone have any preferences as to decent places to shoot?  I'm aware of Double Action (shot there when I got my CPL) and Brown Bear in Chesterfield, but don't really know any more around here.

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline 13mile9

Re: local indoor range choices
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
To stay close in the area...

the indoor range at Action Impact is very nice.  http://impactrange.com/
8mile Road in Southfield.    If I recall, they are somewhat looser on their "firing rules,"  double tapping, etc....  That could have changed...don't know.  Their ranges are the newest...very nice.

As you said, there is Double Action in Madison Heights....
To Note:  In my experience, Double Action has the best selection of holsters in these parts...and good prices. 

Roseville -- Peters Indoor Range & Gun Shop.  A small small range on Gratiot, just north of 696.   (586) 773-7515----28631 Gratiot Ave,  Roseville.

Royal Oak -- http://www.targetsportshooting.com/   On Woodward...12 1/2 area.  They also are certified Glock LEO distributors. 

Hope that helps.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »
Also, for what it's worth, neither DA or Peters allows OC in their stores.  Spend your money wisely.

Offline dieseldon

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
Downfall at action impact is you now half to buy and only shoot there ammo. You can't bring yours in. But they are nice are willing to deal on guns and the range is nice. I just picked up a Glock 23 gen4 w/night sights from them. They gave me a great deal when you buy a gun from them you get a free month unlimited use membership to the range.

Good luck keep'em down range

Don

Offline RandyK

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
There is a place called Close Quarters Tactical formerly Hunts with Double(new ownweship). It is a brand new facility and very nice from what I hear. Have not had a chance to shoot there yet. Its not that far from St. Clair Co. either.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=close+quarters+tactical+michigan&fb=1&gl=us&hq=close+quarters+tactical&hnear=Michigan&cid=6899309375903688518

Offline Brianp

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:01:28 AM »
Also, for what it's worth, neither DA or Peters allows OC in their stores.  Spend your money wisely.

Exactly! That's why I won't shop at DA any longer. Target sports is closer to my place anyway. I open carry in there all the time. The owner Ray has said on numerous occasions to all who ask that they have absolutely NO problem with open carry in both his stores (Farmington and Royal Oak).  Of corse he does ask that if you are shopping for a holster that you don't draw.  Don't laugh he says it happens ALL the time even off duty LEO.

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
Does anyone know why Double Action has that policy?  When in there, you almost get the feeling they don't like folks carrying guns period.  (I'm exaggerating, but you get my point) The sign is worded in such a way that you get the impression that if they see a gun, you'll have every employee drawing down on you ready to fire.   

However, I occasionally visit the store; again, they do have a great selection on holsters.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »
When in there, you almost get the feeling they don't like folks carrying guns period.  (I'm exaggerating, but you get my point)

No, you're not exaggerating and you're not wrong. Those people are not friendly.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
When in there, you almost get the feeling they don't like folks carrying guns period.  (I'm exaggerating, but you get my point)

No, you're not exaggerating and you're not wrong. Those people are not friendly.

qft

Offline sprinklerguy28

• Webb Tactical
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
Peters, Double Action, do not allow open carry. I've spoken with the owners of Close Quarters Tactical and they stated no carry OC/CC is allowed.

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »
Damn, I was thinking about Close Quarters.  It's only about 20 mins from my house.

Anyone ever been to Brown Bear in Chesterfield?  That's only about 10 mins.

Normally I shoot on my own property, but it's getting a little chilly for that.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
CQT DOES allow OC and CC now!!!

CQT CPL/Open Carry Policy
1. NO drawing of firearms from holster in store period.
2. Your firearm MUST remain concealed and or in holster until you are on the range, upon entering the range posted range rules apply.
3. Firearms brought in for service, repair, or fitment of any accessories, MUST be unloaded and in a case.
4. there are no exceptions to these rules whether you are Law Enforcement, Security Professional, Civilian.
5. Please remember SAFETY is our first priority.

If anyone has any questions please email or call us. I am very sorry if there has been any confusion on this matter and that this was not posted last night.

sales@cqtusa.com
810-320-9540
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:49:04 PM »
I believe Brown Bear still allows OC.Shot there with theKunk who reloads for them and several ranges.
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »
I go to a gun range called GUN RANGE it's located on the Southside of the 96 freeway (Schoolcraft), between Middlebelt Rd. and Merriman  Rds. Open Carry in there every other week. Friendly people. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline philipsteele

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 03:03:19 AM »
I think Shooter's Choice is Wilmington's only indoor gun range. And also the shooters range consists of 8 Lanes with distances up to 25 yards it means about 75 feets.The important thing is ample lighting and excellent ventilation provide a safe and climate controlled atmosphere to enjoy your time shooting. So just try this and maximum enjoy your shootings.. ;)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
Another necro-thread post.

Highcarbonsteel1911 has the best indoor range in the Davisburg area. You can watch television and shoot at the same time. Not sure if there is cable or dishnetwork though. I'm sure it's not just regular broadcast TV. The owner is on welfare, and I think that cable is covered then. There is only one lane in there though. And there is no OC while outside the range. But once inside, anything goes. 2 big lazyboy recliners make shooting a comfortable experience. I plan on swinging by some time to check it out. We could have an OC picnic, but again the management prohibits OC outside on trailer park property.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update